Pasta with Chicken, Pancetta and Summer Vegetables

Saturday 7 August 2010



I had a really busy day today. I am in charge of the sharing time at church this Sunday morning. (A fun activity for the children's Sunday School) I had two age groups to prepare for, so it takes a bit of extra time adapting it both for older and younger children. You want them all to have fun.

It was getting rather close to tea time and I still needed to prepare us something to eat.



In the old days that would not have been much of a problem as I had a family that readily ate pasta in any way shape or form, and . . . as we all know . . . pasta with some sort of sauce is a quick, tasty, easy and economical way to go!



I have a husband who hates pasta now though . . . it's foreign food, and he is a man with very solid, old fashioned British tastes . . . read meat and potatoes here.

Occasionally I do try to whiz it past him . . . he only very rarely enjoys it, but . . . sometimes I do get lucky.



Today was not one of those times. I ended up opening him a tin of soup after I watched him suffering through it for about 15 minutes . . . trying to pick the vegetables and chicken out from between the pasta bits . . . sigh . . .



I, on the other hand, enjoyed every scrummy mouthful, and . . . I think all you pasta lovers out there will too.

So there! (Crusty bread to mop up all that delicious sauce is a given!!)



*Pasta with Chicken, Pancetta and Summer Vegetables*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is one of those quick and easy dishes where you can throw in just whatever vegetables you have to hand. I had courgettes, beans, leeks and tomatoes. You may have something else. Chard is very nice, as is asparagus and peas.

12 ounces Pasta, cooked until al dente
3 ounces chopped pancetta
2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 whole leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced thin
a large handful of garden fresh beans (I used a mixture of green and yellow)
1 medium courgette, washed, sliced in half and then into half moons
4 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered
4 ounces of finely grated parmesan cheese
4 ounces dry white wine (1/2 cup)
4 ounces double cream (1/2 cup)
a small handful of fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Shaved Parmesan Cheese to serve

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain well, (reserve a mugfull of the pasta cooking water) rinse, drain again and then set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally until most of the fat has been rendered and the pancetta has started to brown. Toss in the chicken and leeks. Continue to cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and the leeks have softened. Add the beans and courgettes. Cook and stir for several minutes. Add the tomatoes and the wine, allowing it to bubble up. Allow to bubble until the wine reduces by half. Stir in the cream and the cheese. Cook and stir to melt. Season to taste with some salt and pepper and stir in the basil leaves. Serve immediately with some Parmesan Shavings scattered over top. Delicious!

15 comments

  1. Oh boy. Your husband is a lucky man. There would have been no soup at my house. Who wouldn't like such a delicious pasta dish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. a pasta lover here! I had the same problem this weekend! I cooked for my husbands large family while we were visiting them, and made pasta bolognese for them, figured everyone loves pasta, little kids, men get the meat, pasta lover get a classic dish...everything for everyone....but no...some were so sick of eating pasta when they were in college as an easy and cheap food that they just looked at the plate sand made a sad face...I thought I would please everyone since I'm guest cooking.
    Well your pasta seems great, love the touch of white vine with tomatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Çok güzel olmuş, leziz ve iştah açıcı,ellerinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I also have a husband who doesn't like pasta whereas I love it. He will occasionally eat lasagne but that's about it. I've resigned myself to having to cook two meals when I fancy some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Un plato de pasta perfecto para este tiempo. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. ".....PASTA HATERS NEED NOT APPLY"!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine a life sans pasta. Well, except if it's sweet macaroni milk pudding. Ever had that? If you ever do you will understand why Todd hates pasta so much. That's probably what started him off in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm - that looks wonderful. I htink your Hubby and mine need to meet up, they seem to have the same kind of food views lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to smile Marie- my Irish husband also prefers very plain food- and usually way overdone! It took him 4 years after we married to even try tomato sauce! This dish looks right up my alley though
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun post! What a wonderful summery pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely recipe Marie; pancetta makes everything better.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm looks delish Marie. I hate to watch someone eat something they don't enjoy - especially if it's something I enjoy so much. I would have opened soup too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for posting your lovely recipes. I cooked this pasta dish last night and I'm so proud! It's the first time I've made a pasta sauce! Previously I've used a sauce from a jar/packet etc. It was so delicious. Incidentally it's the first time I cooked with pancetta too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been searching on the net for a lovely chicken pasta dish and came across yours. I am off to the shops to get the ingredients and I am going to make this tonight. It looks delicious and we all love pasta !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely, lovely pasta dish and the sauce is perfectly suited to mafalda shaped pasta - it just hugs all of those ruffles. The veggies I had on hand were zucchini, peas, leeks and tomatoes and they were perfect with the velvety, creamy sauce. Super yummy and we were both really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have no idea how much it pleases me that you are making these older recipes Marie and taking the time to leave a comment on your experience. It really makes my day. I know I am way behind on responses! So pleased you and LG enjoyed this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!