Recipes that are delicious and that always work!

You know these recipes are delicious because if I didn't think that they were fabulous . . . I wouldn't be showing them to you. You can also be sure that these recipes work for the same reason! The rest is simply a matter of taste.

Tuesday, 9 November 2010

Almond Crescents, Whole Wheat Bread and a Darned Good Breakmaker!

I was thrilled several weeks ago when I was contacted by Caroline via e-mail, and asked would I like to try out a Morphy Richards Breadmaker.

As I have stated on here before, I am hopeless at making bread. I just don't have the knack. My ex husband was a fabulous bread maker. He had the touch and it came out fabulous each and every time. He used to make our kitchen table practically dance across the kitchen floor and his loaves always came out nice and tall and fluffily good.

Me . . . I produce good doorstops . . . seriously.

I was so excited on Friday when there was a knock on the door and I saw the delivery man standing there with a box for me. I could hardly wait to tear it open. I was over the moon when I saw inside not just any breadmaker but the Morphy Richard's Premium Breadmaker!!
I noticed right off the bat that it was quite attractive to look at, very sleek. It is also not overly heavy, which is a big plus for me as my arthritic wrists just can't handle heavy things that well these days.

There is a lovely viewing window on the top, so that you can peek in and see what is going on without having to lift the lid. This is a fabulous feature from where I am concerned. (I am a peeker!) And to make it even better, there is also an inside light!!! So you can light it up inside to see even better when you are peeking through the window!

It has an automatic raisin/nut dispenser, so , once again, you don't have to keep an eye on it and open it up at the right time to add these things allowing cold air to get inside.

With 17 programs, 3 loaf sizes, 5 crust settings, a viewing window, interior light, 12 hour delay timer and LCD display there is not much that this breadmaker doesn't have! I was most impressed.

You can see a video about it HERE if you like.

I put it to the test this morning, once our company had left to go back to Essex.

I decided to first use it on the dough cycle to see how it worked out there. The instructions with the machine were very easy to follow . . . as simple as one, two, three . . . and in less than 2 hours I had my dough ready to shape into the rolls I was making. It was effortless and so easy, and I think you'll agree these rolls turned out fabulous!

*Almond Butter Crescents*
Makes 8 (For bread machine)
Printable Recipe

Delicious almond crescent rolls made using the dough cycle of your bread machine. Easy!

4 ounces milk (1/2 cup)
4 TBS softened butter
1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
2 free range eggs
5 ounces sugar (1/3 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
13 to 15 ounces of strong flour (3 to 3 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 tsp yeast

2 TBS butter, melted
1 tsp pure almond extract
a handful of toasted flaked almonds

1 egg, beaten with 1 TBS water

Place the ingredients into your bread machine according to your machine directions. Prepare on the dough cycle as per your machine instructions.

At the end of the dough cycle, remove the dough from the machine. Roll out into a large circle on a lightly floured surface. Whisk the melted butter and almond extract for the filling together. Brush over the dough. Cover with the flaked almonds. Cut into 8 wedges. (I use my pizza cutter) Roll each piece from wide end to tip of triangle so that it forms a crescent. Dust a baking sheet with some fine polenta or cornmeal. Place each crescent on the baking sheet, leaving space between. Whisk together the glaze ingredients and brush the rolls with it. Cover and allow to rise for about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.

Next I decided to bake my favourite whole wheat loaf in it. Once again, the instructions were very easy to follow and in approximately 3 1/2 hours I had a lovely loaf of Whole Wheat bread cooling, just in time to have with our supper. I think, once again, you'll agree that it turned out fabulous!!

*Whole Wheat Bread*
Directions for one medium loaf
Printable Recipe

6 ounces water
3 TBS softened butter
1 free range egg
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
8 1/.2 ounces white bread flour (2 cups)
4 1/4 ounces whole wheat flour (1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Place ingredients into bread machine and bake as per machine instructions.

Variations: Add 1 1/2 tsp of seeds such as caraway, anise, dill, fennel, flax or sesame. It will be just enough to give a little extra flavour, but not enough to overpower.

I have had a Panasonic breadmaker for about 7 years now and I was excited to be able to ccompare the two and I have to say with all honesty that the Morphy Richard's Premium Breadmaker equals the panasonic in terms of its output, but has the added advantage of a fast bake program, using oil instead of butter.

Easy to use, easy to clean and easy to store. The baked bread slides out lickety split once baked and also cuts nicely. I highly recommend this breadmaker!

Thanks so much Caroline for affording me the opportunity to try this machine out, and thanks to Morphy Richard's for sending it to me.

In short, this machine was a joy to use and I can tell that it and I are definitely going to be bosom buddies!

I think the next thing I will make in it will be pizza dough . . . mmm . . . love, LOVE Pizza!!


  1. Wow, looks like you have mastered your new machine. Beautiful looking loaves.


  2. Great little "bakery" you've got going on. Those almond crescents look so fluffy, they're like little pillows.

  3. That loaf looks so delicious I think I'll have to go home and put one on for myself. I'm not very good at it either I'm afraid but maybe your luck will rub off!

  4. What fun, Marie! Looks like a wonderful bread machine...can't wait to see what else you try out with it!

    I really have a hard time, though, imagining that anything you bake would come out like a doorstop...seriously!

    Hope you're having a most wonderful day, dear friend...shortly to head off to dreamland, myself...been a long day!

    So many loving thoughts and hugs sent your way this chilly November night...!


  5. The breads you made look fabulous! I love how the bread maker has a window - I think i'd sit on the floor and watch it as the bread rose and baked.

  6. Oooh lucky you Marie - that bread maker does look good. I like you have a Panasonic but I must say this one looks great!

  7. Now you're in for it:) The breads look great! I think I know you though..That dough cycle will become your fave as it is ours..and then you do what you want w/ it and bake in the oven..So glad for you.You should have every good gadget.You certainly deserve them all..You don't just look at them:)

  8. I want to try both of these but I don't have a bread machine!!

  9. Look at those crescent and slices of whole wheat... beautiful breads, Marie! I've been tempted time to time to get a bread maker, but lack space to really keep it to use it a lot. But I still think about it... LOL! I'd love one of those crescents now with my tea... mmm... Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

  10. I have a Panasonic breadmaker too, donkeys' years old. It doesn't have a window but then....I'm too little to see through one anyway! It does have a quick bake programme which I mostly use because the wholemeal programme takes 5 HOURS. My main criticism of it is that the raisin beeps and even the ready beeps are very very quiet and unless I stand there waiting for them I can't hear them. What's the M-R like?

  11. Good job you have that lovely big bread bin!!!

    My mouth is watering!

  12. Hey, Thanks ever so much for reviewing our breadmaker for us - really pleased that you like it! We've posted your review on our blog -

    Feel free to send us any delicious recipes too, we're always on the look out :-)

    Thanks again,
    Chris at Morphy Richards


Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy! Please don't attempt to leave spam. It will be deleted immediately.