Recipes that are delicious and that always work!

You know these recipes are delicious because if I didn't think that they were fabulous . . . I wouldn't be showing them to you. You can also be sure that these recipes work for the same reason! The rest is simply a matter of taste.

Friday, 18 February 2011

Baked Potato Wedges

We love potatoes here at our house, in any way shape or form. I may have told you this already or at least in any case I don't think I've ever made a secret of it!
My man is a meat and potatoes man and I am a potato woman . . . a day without eating a potato in one way, shape or form is just a day that is sadly lacking for me!

The frozen food aisles of the grocery store are filled with bags of frozen potato wedges. You know what I mean . . . right next to the chips, but cut into chunky wedges with the skins left on, and soaked in artificial flavours, trans fats and colouring agents.

Why settle for something that's not all that great tasting, or even good looking, when you have a really delicious alternative at your fingertips???

These tasty little wedges are very simple to do. The hardest part will be slicing them down through without going all the way through the skin, but never mind if you miss a few times . . . those extra little bits get nice and crispy and extra delicious if I don't say so myself!

A lot of people like to serve their wedges with a dip of some sort, usually a sour cream dip. Even McDonald's sells their wedges with a sour cream dip. You know why that is???

It's coz they are a sadly lacking in flavour and texture. At least that's my opinion! These are infinitely better and you won't be looking to mask the lacklustre flavour with a dip of any kind.

You'll be chowing down on them just as they are! (Note these are not calorie free, but then again . . . nothing really tasty ever is!)

*Baked Potato Wedges*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

These delicious potato wedges are a bit more trouble to put together than others, but trust me, the end result is well worth the effort. Crispy edged potatoes, with a combination of delicious flavours that go right down to the skins.

4 TBS butter, melted
2 fluid ounces of tomato ketchup (1/4 cup)
1 tsp prepared french mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshy ground black pepper
4 large baking potatoes,unpeeled

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Combine the melted butter, ketchup, mustard and seasonings.

Scrub the potatoes and dry well. Cut each into 4 wedges. lengthwise. Slash each wedge crosswise at 1/4 inch intervals, but don't cut all the way through the skin. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush with 1/3 of the butter mixture.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender, with crispy browned edges. Baste periodically with the remainder of the butter mixture.

Serve hot.


  1. these..perfect for saturday lunch! ;D

  2. These look wonderful, Marie! My family LOVES potatoes in any form--but especially like this!

    Hope all is well with you and that you're having a beautiful's been raining so much here the last couple of days...we really love rainy days, as we get them so rarely, so we're happy!

    Sending lots of love and hugs your way, my dear friend...


  3. These will be on my table tonight with hamburgers I have cooked on the grill. A week ago I couldn't find the grill for the snow. Amazing!

  4. Mmm They'll be my Saturday lunch I think!

  5. Thank you!! I do believe we will have this weekend!! I know we will end up using far more than 4 potatoes with 3 hungry teenagers though. They love potato wedges and I am sure this will be a hit with them! Once again thank you!!

  6. mmm... a crispy potato wedge... not that's the stuff dinner's are made of! ;o) Great recipe, Marie--thanks you! Happy Weekend, my friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

  7. I love potato wedges and these will go perfectly with the dinner I'm making tonight. I look forward to trying them .

  8. I made these last night for dinner. SO good, much better than my standard baked french fries.


Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy! Please don't attempt to leave spam. It will be deleted immediately.