Mini Meat Loaves

Tuesday 22 February 2011



Nowadays everyone is having to pinch the pennies a bit more, and be a bit thrifty with their cookery. We are also looking to cut back on fat and calories. But that doesn't mean that we have to cut back on taste or flavour.



Meatloaf is one of the things that I used to make quite often for supper when I had a large and growing family. It always went down a real treat on the night, and the kids enjoyed having meatloaf sandwiches the next day for their lunches.



It doesn't make economical sense for me to make a large meatloaf for Todd and I these days. We just don't get it all eaten and so, unless we are having company I generally don't prepare it.

The other day I found what looked like a tasty recipe in a Cooking Light cookbook, and it seemed quite economical too. It makes only 4 servings, with no leftovers.



The recipe makes four mini meatloaves which cook in half the time as a normal sized meatloaf. I cooked two on the night and froze two to have at another time. It didn't use any fancy ingredients either. All stuff that I have to hand most of the time.

I don't buy regular ground beef, never had. I always buy ground steak. With regular ground beef, a lot of it goes down the drain in fat and water. Lean minced steak may cost a bit more, but at the end of the day, you end up with pretty much what you start with and it tastes alot better, not to mention it's a lot healthier for you!!



I made a few adaptions to the recipe. I added some brown sugar to the ketchup mixture that was reserved for the topping. I have always done it that way and we like the added sweetness. Next time I may add a bit of chili sauce as we do like a bit more zip, but all told this was a great recipe that I will make again, and probably again! I often lay slices of bacon across the top of my meatloaves as well . . . but we're watching the calories and salt you know . . .

In short, it had a lot of flavour, for very little effort. I think it's become a favourite around here. I served it with mashed potatoes and corn. Yummo!!



*Mini Meat Loaves*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Tasty little meatloaves with a zingy topping, that not only glazed the top, but also flavours the insides!

4 fluid ounces of tomato ketchup (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 TBS Dijon mustard
1 TBS packed soft light brown sugar
16 ounces of ground lean steak (1 pound)
1 ounce dried seasoned bread crumbs (1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp fine seasalt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large free range egg, lightly beaten
cooking spray

Preheat th eoven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 5. Lightly spray and baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.

Whisk together the ketchup, and the mustard. Reserve 2 1/2 TBS of it. Whisk this together with the brown sugar and set aside. Combine the remaining ketchup mixture, ground steak, bread crumbs, seasalt , oregano, black pepper and beaten egg in a bowl, mixing well together. Divide this mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape eachinto a 4 by 2 1/2 inch loaf on the prepared baking sheet. Brush each loaf with 1/4th of the ketchup glaze. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done. Serve hot.

7 comments

  1. Those look really good! Moist and not over done on the outside... where does one get ground steak? Have the butcher do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either that or you can grind it yoruself Rachelle! We can get really good ground steak here in the grocery shops, or at least I have been able to find it in Morrisons. What I liked about this was the fact that it didn't have to cook for ages and the meat remained nice and moist! Quite often leaner cuts have a tendancy to dry out. This didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve çok iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılarımla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really delicious! I guess that it would be great with ground pork too. Would love to give this a try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea..it's just my husband and I also.. this makes sense..I like sugar w/ ketchup too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the same recipe for glaze! It's my favorite part of the meatloaf : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. my favorite, yum! Happy Easter to you an yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!