Pundit Pudding

Tuesday 1 February 2011



Since I will have spent most of Monday sitting around in a hospital having tests of one sort or another, I knew there would not be a lot of time for cooking. In fact, this will probably be a scrambled egg or beans on toast night! I did want to give you something tasty this morning to look at.




I thought of getting something from out of my archives and then I remembered the World Food Cup that I had participated in last June, and the lovely dish I created for that, but never got to share on here.



This was a dish that I felt was a coloured commentary on British cookery, or a "pundit" as it were. My good friend Angie helped me come up with the name for it, and I couldn't think of a better one.




Here in the UK we have some of the best meat in the world . . . and why not show it off. As they say, if you've got it why not flaunt it!



This dish is a wonderful meat fest of gargantuan proportions . . . salt marsh lamb (if you can get it), meaty pork sausages, bacon chops and beautiful British rump steaks . . . all grilled to perfection and placed inside individual "plate-sized" traditional Yorkshire puddings, with a tasty garnish of grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. With true English Roasties on the side as well as some tasty cabbage, leeks and peas, this is a dish truly fit for a king!!!




*Pundit Pudding*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

The best of England, served up in your very own Yorkshire pudding bowl! Do plan ahead as the batter for the puddings needs to sit out for an hour at room temperature before baking!

4 Lamb chops, trimmed
4 Small rump Steaks
4 small bacon chops
4 thick and meaty Butcher’s pork and leek sausages
Butter, melted
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 Large Tomatoes
4 Large Mushrooms
For the Pudding:
2 large free range eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp salt
1/2 pint milk, at room temperature (1 1/3 cup)
140g plain flour (1 cup)
a little oil or dripping

Make sure all your ingredients for the pudding are at room temperature before beginning. Beat your eggs together in a large measuring jug until very light. Whisk in the milk. Sift the flour into a bowl along with the salt. Make a well in the middle and add the wet ingredients all at once, pouring them into the well, and then whisk them in, slowly incorporating the dry mixture from the sides until you have a smooth batter. Now, this is the important bit . . . COVER IT AND LET IT SIT ON THE SIDEBOARD FOR ONE HOUR.

Preheat your oven to 230*C/450*F. Place a small amount of oil or dripping into each of four medium sized pie tins. (You will want ones with a six inch base) Place the tins on two baking trays and then put them into the hot oven to heat up until the fat is hot and sizzling. Remove from the oven and quickly divide the batter amongst each muffin cup, filling them about 2/3 full. (You may not use it all.) Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until well risen, browned and crispy, reducing the oven temperature by 10 degrees every five minutes.

While your puddings are baking cook your meats. Preheat the grill to it’s hottest. Brush the steaks and chops with some melted butter and sprinkle with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the sausages on a rack in a grill pan and grill for about 7 to 8 minutes, turning frequently. Add the lamb chops and the rump steaks. Continue to grill for another 5 to 7 minutes, allowing 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove to a heated plate and keep warm. Now grill the bacon chops, allowing 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to the heated plate and keep warm.

Slice the tomatoes in half and brush each half with some melted butter, along with the mushrooms. Place all beneath the grill and grill for about 5 minutes. Remove from the grill and season to taste.
Remove the crisp and fluffy puddings from the oven and tip out of the pie tins. Place each one on a heated plate, right side up. (So that it looks like a bowl) Place inside each: one lamb chop, one sausage, one bacon chop and one piece of rump steak. Garnish each with half a grilled tomato and a grilled mushroom.
Serve immediately with some crisp roasted potatoes and a green vegetable on the side. (I used lightly sautéed Savoy cabbage and leek mixed with some tender spring peas.)

Bisto Gravy and Brown Sauce are completely optional!

10 comments

  1. Are you okay??? Sorry you had to spend the day getting tests done--that's no fun! Hope everything's just fine.

    I've missed so much while I've been away--so many wonderful recipes & photos here--as always! You are such a talented woman, my friend!

    Thank-you so much for the beautiful birthday wishes--really touched my heart.

    Sending you so much love and good wishes tonight, my dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know when I have seen a more beautiful plate of food! If only I could find the fabulous meat here in the US. I will just make it with second best meat. Thank you again for your wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Marie,

    My poor arteries are hardening. My son would love that dish. When he was little I had to make Yorkshire pud with every roast meal.

    Hugs and love. I am sorry that you feel a little down after the doctor visit yesterday.

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marie, I don't really cook much meat here, but this would please any meat lover I'm sure! Just wanted to leave you a note to wish you well and hope everything's ok. Tests at Doctors offices can be draining and the worry is sometimes worse than anything that's wrong, because many times NOTHING is wrong! Please keep your spirits up :-) Get in the kitchen and bake something yummy! It always cheers me up. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything is ok?

    Sending you good thoughts..and again thank you for everything you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That might be a little too meaty for me to enjoy in one sitting, but the seperate components look and sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so amazingly yummy -joy and happiness on a plate. Thanks for sharing! I do so hope all is well with you and the medical testing isn't too awful. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All my best wishes for good tests results. Love the pudding recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!