Spicy Cranberry, Mincemeat and Almond Eve's Pudding

Thursday 3 February 2011



I've had a half eaten jar of mincemeat languishing in the back of my refrigerator since Christmas, and I thought I had better get it used up, but we didn't really feel like mince pies . . . by the time Christmas is over we've had enough of them to be honest!



I could have made a teabread with it of course . . . but I didn't really feel like that either . . .



I wanted a rich and stodgy pudding . . . something that I could eat with a spoon, somewhere between a cake and pudding . . . but baked, not steamed.



I decided to make a variation on an Eve's Pudding, a traditional pudding found over here with a fruity base and almond cake topping.




You can find my traditional Eve's Pudding recipe here, and a Cranberry version here. As you can tell, we love Eve's Pudding!



I combined a mixture of cooked Bramley apple, along with some cranberries and the leftover mincemeat, and then topped it with a buttery almondy frangipane batter. Oh my . . . but this is some good. The tartness of the bramley apple and cranberries, offset the sweetness of the mincemeat just perfectly . . . each mouthful is wonderfully buttery, and sweet and tart at the same time.



Oh-so-good served warm with some pouring cream over top. In short . . . we completely adored this delicious pud! It was incredibly moreish and satisfying.



Spicy Cranberry, Mincemeat and Almond Eve's Pudding*
Serves 4 to 6 depending on appetites
Printable Recipe

The perfect way to use up that half eaten jar of mincemeat lanquishing in the back of your refrigerator!

1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 TBS water
200g of mincemeat (a generous cup)
100g of cranberries, frozen or fresh (1 cup)
100g of butter (7/8 cup)
100g of golden caster sugar (1/2 cup)
2 large eggs, beaten
75g of self raising flour (2/3 cup)
25g of ground almonds (1/3 cup)
a small handful of flaked toasted almonds

Cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Have ready a shallow 11 by 7 baking dish. Set aside.

Place the apple in a pot with the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the mincemeat and cranberries. Pour into the baking dish, leveling out.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift in the flour and stir in along with the almonds. Spread this mixture over top of the fruit in the baking dish. Level off and then sprinkle with the flaked almonds.

Bake for 3-0 to 35 minutes, until the topping is well risen and golden brown, and the fruit is bubbling beneath. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes then, serve warm with some pouring cream. Delicious!

8 comments

  1. I've never heard of Eve's pudding, but I love this idea! I baked a cranberry and apple crumble at Thanksgiving and loved the flavors together - I bet the almond topping of yours is super good. Filing this away...=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative! I love being frugal and not wasting a half jar of anything. It's bonus points when something great can be made from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks good... I'll take anything with cranberries! A very frugal & easy dish... I like that! ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, almond anything rings my bell!! And I learned about something, too: Eve's Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look nice dear Marie, send you huggs and blessings, x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that does sound just the ticket to combat this awful weather. So warming and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum, that pudding looks fantastic, especially with that cream poured all over it, delish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!