Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcakes with a Framboise Glaze

Saturday 12 February 2011



I wanted to make something really special for Todd and some of our friends to help celebrate Valentines Day. I thought about chocolates, but then I decided that I would make some delicious cupcakes instead.



I was probably more than influenced by this lovely little cupcake stand I found at Lakeland . . . and the cute little pink gingham cupcake liners didn't hurt either . . . and then . . .



I saw these really pretty little pink sugar flowers . . . they were just the ticket to help decorate the tops of the cakes . . . along with some edible glitter and pink sprinkles. I just could not resist. I know . . . I'm incorrigible!



This is my favourite cupcake recipe. They always turn out moist and delicious, and are perfect for people who are not all that fond of chocolate cakes . . . people like my Todd.



Myself, I'll eat any cake . . . chocolate . . . vanilla . . . fruit . . . big, small . . . if it's cake I am there.

I'm such a glutton, albeit a loveable one. Lucky for my friends, I'm also a generous one!



*Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcakes with a Framboise Glaze*
Makes one dozen
Printable Recipe

Moist, buttery and delicious! I like to use a combination of vanilla and lemon extracts here to really bring out the vanilla flavour. The glaze is really a nice touch.

5.7 ounces of plain flour (1 1/3 cups)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
7 ounces granulated sugar (1 cup)
2 ounces butter, room temperature (1/4 cup)
1 large free range egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ tsp lemon extract
4 fluid ounces buttermilk (1/2 cup)

For the glaze:
8 ounces icing sugar (2 cups)
2 TBS Framboise
sprinkles and flowers to decorate, edible glitter, etc.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with decorative paper liners.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and light. Beat in the egg and the vanilla and lemon extracts until mixture is smooth.
Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until almost combined. Add buttermilk and stir, again, until almost combined. Add the remainder of the flour and stir until all ingredients are well combined.

Divide batter evenly anongst the muffin cups.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean
.
Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the muffin pan to a wire rack to finish cooling. Cool completely before frosting.

Whisk together the icing sugar and framboise and enough water (if needed) to make a thin spoonable glaze. Spoon over the tops of the cooled cakes. Sprinkle with edible glitter or sprinkles and decorate with flowers as desired. Store in an airtight container.

9 comments

  1. Nothing wrong with a good old cupcake ;0)
    They look tasty and the perfect treat for V Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look the perfect moist fluffy delicious cupcakes! I love the idea of the boozy raspberry glaze - gives it that extra special twist. I'm with you on the cake front - any cake and I'm there with my fork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stand and the cupcakes are adorable..Happy Valentine's day to you and Todd:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your cupcakes dear Marie, love the glaze! Dear have a wonderful and happy San Valentine with Todd!!! xoxoxoxoxo gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. And i dont have nothing!!! I have to do something, Marie!! xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I could never make anything as pretty as those - they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie-It's been a while since I visited your blog...shame on me:(
    Your cupcakes are heavenly delights, and oh, so gorgeous for Valentine's or any time of the year.
    Love the soft pink color, and coordinating cupcake papers, and the gorgeous frosting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous and so festive! BTW I made your roasted Jerusalem artichokes last night and they were FABULOUS! Can't wait to blog about them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!