Thick Pea Soup

Thursday 31 March 2011



Well, we are back to the rain and drizzle . . . all the sunshine and warm temperatures of the past week having desserted us. It sure was nice while it lasted, but this early in the year, one really can't expect anything else!



We got to work doing some spring cleaning this morning, starting off in the kitchen. It's amazing how cluttered the cupboards got over the winter. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you tell yourself you are going to try hard to put things back in the same place after you use them . . . it never really seems to happen!



I was also amazed at how much out of date things there were stogged in the back of the larder cupboard . . . a sure sign that I've been overbuying and something I'll have to rectify!

In any case, we found ourselves in the mood for a hearty and filling soup when it came to lunch, and I just happened to have a bag of green split peas that needed using up asap!

Oh, I do love a good pea soup! It may not be very pretty to look at, but it tastes wonderful. Todd . . . he loves his with bread rolls and butter, but me . . . I like mine with crisp crackers. (I like the Italian ones. They are the closest thing to the ones from back home.)



Did you know it is considered uncouth to crumble your crackers into your soup? well shut my mouth! I discovered that the other night as I was reading a book on table ettiquette . . . and whilst I would never do it in front of the Queen . . . I do think it's quite, quite acceptable to do it in front of Todd!



*Thick Pea Soup*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

You can sprinkle the top of this delicious soup with some crisp croutons just before serving, or do like me and just crumble on soda crackers!

3 1/2 pints of ham stock (7 cups)
12 ounces of dried split peas (yellow or green) (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 ounces butter (1/4 cup)
4 thick slices of smoked back bacon, diced
1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, trimmed and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 small potato, peeled and diced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the stock into a large saucepan. Bring just to the simmer and then add the split peas. Cover and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.

While the peas are cooking melt 1/2 of the butter in a small skillet. Add the vegetables and bacon. Cook and stir over medium heat, until softened and golden. Add to the simmering split peas. Season lightly with some salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently for a further 45 to 50 minutes. Remove about 1 cup of the soup and set aside. Use a stick blender to puree the remaining soup, or pass through a seive, or use a jug blender. Return to the saucepan and stir the reserved 1 cup of soup back into it. Taste and adjust seasoning. You may thin it out with an additional amount of hot stock if you think it is too thick.

Serve hot, ladled into heated bowls, dropping a bit of the remaining butter on top of each serving, along with a grinding of pepper and a few flakes of sea salt, if you wish.

6 comments

  1. Yum! This recipe will make my Roger very happy, Marie! He's always beggin for some homemade split pea soup...yours will become our new favorite, I'm sure!

    I love the looks of your lasagne, too--I know it will be fabulous!

    So sorry you're back to chill & drizzles...we're now 70's and sunshine! I think we're just flip-flopping back & forth here!

    Whatever the weather, I love you dearly, my dear friend, and send many hugs and happy thoughts your way...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice bowl of soup - I love pea soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lovbe pea soup is really amazing dear Marie, look delicious, love yah!!

    Im so happy the sweet Lura is little better! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum... On this snowy day here, soup would be just the thing! I think I'll make soup for dinner! LOVE YOU LOTS, sweet friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie,

    I also discovered the so-called 'Italian' crackers in the supermarket (I think it was Morrison's) a couple of months ago, and bought some because it was the first time I'd seen anything that looked like the crackers we had in Canada. But it had been so long since I had any that I no longer miss them.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie,

    I just made lentil soup! It's freezing here too and it's good to have something warming. The pea soup looks fantastic, especially with the smoked bacon - delish
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!