Almond Jam Tarts

Thursday 22 September 2011



The Toddster wasn't feeling very well this morning. He hardly slept a wink last night and then stayed in bed for most of the day . . . feeling feverish and out of sorts. He is so healthy most of the time . . . in great shape for being 73 . . . when he doesn't feel well, it really worries me.



I wanted to make him something special to try to make him feel a bit better. He loves jam tarts. He loves jam anything. That is a weakness we both share.



So I got busy this morning . . . did some laundry and hung it out to dry whilst the sun was shining. (It didn't take long to disappear! I'm sure it saw me hanging out the clothes and decided to take a hike!)



I puttered around the kitchen and then I made him these tasty Almond Jam Tarts. I was sorely tempted to drizzle some icing over top . . . but I think that would have been a bit much for him, where he wasn't feeling well.



I took him to the Doctors this afternoon and he's on anti-biotics now . . . hopefully they will do the trick. Right now he's enjoying a couple of these tasty tarts with a mug of Horlicks.



There's nothing like some lovin' from the oven' to help a man feel a bit brighter, don't you think? He said it was feed a fever, starve a cold. It might be the other way around . . . but I'm not taking any chances! He is feeling quite a bit better now, which is a relief. ( I do confess . . . I had a few too. ☺)



*Almond Jam Tarts*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

Delicious tarts, with a Frangipane filling, covering sweet Raspberry jam and topped with flaked almonds. Fabulous!

1/3 pound of short crust pastry
(your own recipe or store bought)

For the filling:
3 TBS seedless raspberry jam
3 ounces butter, softened (6 TBS)
3 ounces caster sugar (7.1 TBS)
4 ounces ground almonds (1 1/3 cups)
2 ounces ground rice (4 1/2 TBS)
1 medium free range egg, lightly beaten

a handful of flaked almonds to top

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.

Roll the pastry out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into rounds approximately 4 inches in diameter. Line a 12 hole patty pan with the rounds of pastry. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the ground almonds and rice. Mix in the egg, mixing all together well.

Spoon some jam into the bottom of each pastry shell. Divide the almond mixture evenly amongst the tarts and spread it over to cover the jam. Sprinkle with some flaked almonds.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until nicely browned. Do keep an eye on them during the last 10 minutes or so to make sure they aren't over browning.

Alternately the pastry can be used to line a 7 inch square pan. Spread with the jam and then the almond mixture, smoothing it over top. Sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake as above. Cut into fingers once completely cooled.



Over in the Cottage today, a deliciously easy cake that just looks like you slaved all day . . . Brown Sugar Bundt Cake.

15 comments

  1. Sorry to hear 'The Toddster' isn't feeling well; I hope he is soon better. I'm sure he will be with you spoiling him. Great recipe, I'm going to try these later. Tracey UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, sorry to hear The Toddster hasn't been feeling so well, and glad to hear he is on the mend. I've no doubt these glorious little tarts helped hugely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made something similar to these the other day and they were absolutely scrummy but yours look gorrrgeeouuusss! :) might well try your recipe if i make them again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipes sound so yummy and simple. I want to try this one with my 4-H group that I am heading up on Foods. Something they would enjoy and share with the group. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello:) Marie..can I use rice flour or do I pulverize rice? These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say..do you think it's the travel and the weather that made hubby unwell?
    He should be better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh....these look so dainty and delicious! Now Im wishing I had some for my morning coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. heal soonest, toddster! yum...these tarts look like they'd chase any grey day away :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope he feels better soon Marie and it is just a change of season cold or chill.....those tarts should do the trick though!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the Toddster is feeling better now...I'm sure with all that TLC he should be.
    Tarts look terrif!
    Have a great weekend :D x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, I've never heard of ground rice. Can you explain?
    The mushroom and ale pies DO look "to die for"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leonora, ground rice
    is rice that has been coarsely milled. This produces rice similar to semolina and is used in baking and puddings. It's also similar in texture to cornmeal. You could grind your own rice in a coffee grinder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My name is Bakewell and after making these for Mr . Bakewell I had to take him to the hospital. Thank you again for the recipe love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 4 years later..they are in the oven:)
    Thank you again..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh, I hope that you like them Monique! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!