Flat Meatballs & Gravy

Monday 2 January 2012

Flat Meatballs & Gravy 



 There are purists out there that would call foul at anyone who stoops so low as to use a tin of creamed soup in a recipe. If you are one of those people . . . then look away now.


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 




 While I never ever would eat a tin of cream soup as, well . . . a bowl of soup, they do have their uses. 

 Having been brought up on the odd tin of Campbell's myself, I am not so much of a culinary snob that I am adverse to using a tin here and there in a recipe.


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 




 There are some recipes where nothing else will do. And I embrace those from time to time. I don't see it as cheating, or being lazy. It's a part of my heritage. I don't apologize for it. 

 Especially when it comes to making these delicious meatballs! Ok, so they are more like tiny beef patties, but . . . we'll just call them flat meatballs and give them the respect that they are due!


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 



 These are wonderful. After all the turkey and ham and fruitcake and Christmas Cake and mince pies of the past few weeks . . . they were also a very welcome respite!


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 



 Cream of crud soup or no. They spell comfort. C-O-M-F-O-R-T 


 Yes . . . I did have a Campbell's Soup Doll when I was a kid. I saved up soup labels and pennies for months to get one and I cherished it. 


 That's what you do to things you really have to work hard to acquire . . . you cherish them. And I cherish the memory of Campbell's soup on a cold winter's day. 


 Especially Tomato with a Grilled Cheese Sandwich on the side. I can't help myself.


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 




 So back to the meatballs. They are deliciously, dare I say it again . . . S-C-R-U-M-M-Y!


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 




 Another winner from my Big Blue Binder. Perfect for these early days of January when you want to get as far away from Christmas food as possible.


  Flat Meatballs & Gravy 


  *Flat Meatballs & Gravy* 
Serves 4 Printable Recipe 

 This is a recipe I have had kicking around in my big blue binder for a long time. Simple ingredients, easy to make but fabulous flavours! 

 1 pound extra lean minced steak 
1 egg yolk, beaten 
1/4 cup whole milk (60ml)
1 heaped dessertspoon of flour 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper 
1/4 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 small onion, peeled and grated 

 Also: 
a bit of butter and oil for frying 
1 tin of condensed cream of mushroom soup 1
25 ml of milk (1/2 cup) 
1/2 tsp summer savoury 
the other half of the onion, grated 
1 tsp worcestershire sauce 

 Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. 


 Mix all the meatball ingredients together in a bowl, mixing it together with your hands. 

 Melt a bit of butter together with some oil in a skillet over medium heat, until the butter starts to foam. 
 Scoop out the meat mixture using a dessertspoon and shaping it into balls. Flatten the balls slightly and then brown them on each side in the heated pan. 

 Repeat to brown all meatballs. Keep warm. 

 Whisk together the soup, milk, summer savoury, grated onion and worcestershire sauce. Pour into a shallow casserole dish. 

 Add the browned meat balls, turning them to coat. Bake in the heated oven for 30 minutes, turning them once during the baking period. 


 Serve hot with some cooked rice and a vegetable on the side. Delicious!


7 comments

  1. I guess I'm not a snob, I like mushroom soup, it has to be Campbells though, I also like tomatoe, these look yummy Mariem but for some reason I'm off meat right now, I hope you had a wonderful day today, we were in a blizzard all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, looks lovely but what is Summer Savoury?

    Hugs, Kaye xoxox

    P.S. Too hot in Melbourne today (40 degrees celsius) to be cooking anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a food snob! However, there is nothing wrong with a few canned soups for good comfort food. Here in the South (U.S.) we consider these staples for the pantry. This is an old recipe, because I'm old and I remember making it. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer Savoury is an herb, much like oregano, or marjoram. You find it in the spice section of the grocery store. You could use mixed herbs, which would also work quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting recipe, I don't use soups in cooking like that, BUT I have to say, if those are the results, then maybe I SHOULD!! It looks FABULOUS Marie and such a wonderful winter's recipe!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't those little Campbell's soup dolls precious! I love them and your fun post! Happy new year! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog by good fortune and I'm totally loving it! Love your passion for English food, it does a get a bad press though totally undeserved. I'll definitely be stopping by again - and trying some soup with meatballs - cheers x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!