Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings

Sunday 1 January 2012



All week I have been pondering what will be the first recipe I post on here for 2012. Ohh . . . so many recipes to choose from . . . I could drive myself mad with choice you know! I have that many cook books.



My favourite cook books though are not the ones that come with the fancy covers, filled with pretty and delicious looking pictures . . . written by this month's flavour of the month celebrity chef or otherwise . . .



They are my Big Blue Binder and a couple of notebooks where, throughout the years, I have laboriously copied out the creme de la creme of recipes . . . recipes gifted to me by friends and family. Recipes developed and tweaked through years of trial and error, until I have gotten them just so . . so . . . perfect. Well, perfect for me at any rate.



This is simple food using simple ingredients with wowsa wowsa flavours. Tried and true. Family and husband tested . . . our absolute favourites. I did write a book with some of the best ones in it a few years back. You can find it here. I'm quite proud of it as I did it all myself . . . I know a publisher would have done a better job probably, but I did my best, and that's what counts.



Anyways, so back to the recipe. I decided to make these apple dumplings for several reasons. One . . . they aren't something that I make very often, like maybe only ever 5 or 6 years. (They are good artery cloggers and hip expanders!!!)



Two, I wanted to spoil my husband with one of his favourite things for the New Year. He loves anything with apple in it.



Three . . . the crunch is on to get ready for two family weddings in June/July . . . so . . . diet time starts today . . . I have to really cut back on the goodies now. I thought . . . why not go out with a real humdinger!

And so . . . I did. I don't regret even one mouthful. So there.



*Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

I don't know anyone who doesn't love these. They're fantastic, and they're not as difficult to make as one would suppose.

6 medium sized firm cooking apples (I used granny smiths)
2 TBS lemon juice
3.5 ounces granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
soft light brown sugar
2 TBS butter
enough pastry for 2 10-inch pie crusts

For the sauce:
500ml of water (2 cups)
5 ounces granulated sugar (about 3/4 cup)
2 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Cream for serving

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Have ready a 9 by 13 by 2 inch baking pan, which you have lightly buttered.

Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle measuring 14 by 21 inches. Cut into six even squares. Whisk together the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.

Peel and core the apples, leaving whole. Put the lemon juice in a bowl and roll the apples in this, then roll them into the bowl of cinnamon sugar to coat. Place each apple into the centre of one pastry square. Fill the cavity of each apple with 2 TBS soft light brown sugar and 1 tsp of butter. Pull up the sides of the pastry squares to cover each apple, crimping the edges tightly shut. Place into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1/2 hour.

In the meantime, combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to the boil and cook rapidly for 1 minute. After the dumplings have been cooking for 1/2 hour, pour the sauce over top and then return to the oven, continuing to bake for a further 1/2 hour, basting occasionally.

Serve warm with cream for pouring. Delicious.



Over in The Cottage today, the extreme opposite from such decadence . . . Green Beans Almondine!

10 comments

  1. I had to stop and say hi when I saw your awesome looking apple dumplings! This is the best dessert ever and your photos are making me drool. Great job.
    Have a delicious New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks SO good. what a perfect winter treat. Happy New Year!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Marie ;D

    Great start with your recipe but unfortunately I can only look today...no baking here due to the heat steadily rising in Melbourne.
    We're currently trying to stay cool inside as the temperature sours towards 40 degrees celsius!

    I had planned to roast a huge joint of pork today, but there is no way that my oven will be going on, so there’s been a change of plan...BBQ it is! We’re truly embracing the Aussie way today. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, they look ever so tempting!!! The healthy eating plan is taking an early battering me thinks ;0)
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too decadent! Enno and I bought 2 lbs. of Granny Smyths to make a Dutch Cobbler's Cake this week. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like such wonderful comfort food for a cold winter day! Happy New year my friend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can hardly wait to make this! I wish I had seen the recipe before I made yet another Baked Coconut Custard for our New Year's day dessert. We have all so enjoyed that recipe. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of
    anything more
    comforting than
    these little darlings!
    When my GiGi was
    herself, we used to
    take her to the cafe
    at Nordstrom's Dept.
    Store and instead of
    getting lunch, she
    always wanted the
    Apple Dumpling a la
    mode. Looking back,
    I'm so glad that she
    didn't choose something
    sensible, but something
    that made her heart
    sing. Thank you for all
    of your inspiring recipes
    and writing over the last
    year, my friend! Come
    and join me tomorrow
    for Monday Moments and
    share this great recipe : )

    Happy New Year!

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had an apple dumpling for years - yours are the pretties I've ever seen! Happy, happy New Year to you and Todd
    lots of love Mary oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks divine! I've never had anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!