Oven Hash

Tuesday 31 January 2012



Question . . . does this look like stewing beef to you?? I thought not! It doesn't look like stewing beef to me either . . . but apparently it does to Todd. I sent him to the shops this morning to get me a pound of cubed stewing beef and this is what he brought back. I had in mind to make a beef curry in my crock pot as the gas is off again today . . .

Scratch the beef curry.



I tried not to grumble at him too much . . . meh . . . these things happen. Never send a man in to do a woman's job . . . most times they will mess it up, but . . . c'est la vie!



Instead I made a lovely oven hash . . . it occurred to me that whilst my gas burners wouldn't operate with the gas turned off . . . the electric oven still would. Duh . . . it only took me three days to figure that bit out.



I also have a beautiful Morphy Richard's crock pot which browns things, and so I browned my meat, onions and peppers for the hash in that. I stirred in all the other ingredients, poured them into a casserole dish and popped it into my hot oven.



This is a very old recipe. It's called many different things . . . Texas Hash, Macaroni and Meat . . . Oven Hash. It all boils down to the same thing.



Comfort food. Simple food. Family food. Economical and honest ingredients combined to make a delicious meal that your family will love.



All you need on the side is a tossed salad and perhaps some crusty rolls. I'll make the beef curry another day . . . today we feasted on this.



*Oven Hash*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Not a hash with potatoes, but a delicious mixture of spiced minced beef, baked with tomatoes, onions and noodles. Comfort food. Family food. Simple, maybe . . . but never plain.

3 TBS fat (You can use oil, drippings or butter)
3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large green pepper, trimmed, seeds discarded, and flesh chopped
1 lb. extra lean minced beef
2 (400g) tins of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice (about 3 cups)
180g of uncooked noodles (2 cups) (You may also use 1/2 cup of raw long grain rice)
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano flakes
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a 2 litre casserole dish. Set aside.

Melt the fat in a dutch oven. Add onions and pepper. cook, stirring, until the onions are softened, but not browned. Add the minced beef. Cook and stir until the mixture falls apart and is no longer pink. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour this mixture into the buttered casserole dish. cover and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 15 minutes longer. Serve hot.



Cooking in The Cottage today, a delicious Chocolate Bread Pudding with Raspberry Cherry Sauce.

14 comments

  1. Not stew, but perfect winter food. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. Men make these major decisions in the world of finance, but when it comes to the simple running of a home, they just don't get it. But it looks good.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! Think I will make this tomorrow night but with venison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just shows how clever you are Marie...whatever appears you do your magic and “Voila!” another tasty culinary delight! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice save, Marie! When somebody gives you lemons...or in your case ground beef... : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, not a stew, but this looks amazing - so much flavor - YUM!
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Men aye what can you do but smile, they'd can't help it I suppose :)

    The recipe looks yummy, got everything but the mince, good job I'm going shopping tomorrow.

    Thanks
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks scrumptious Marie, really good comfort food.

    A happy mistake by Todd I think;)

    love

    Sheilagh
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Men! Oh well....that recipe looks WONDERFUL and also it looks easy to cook too....LOVE oven dishes! Comfort food at its best! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might not be what you had in mind, but it sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the sound of that! oven hash- yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We call this "kitchen cupboard quickie" ... no matter the name, it's a delicious meal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering if you would like to put up a link to this beef recipe in my Food on Friday Series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for linking up to Food on Friday. We now have a really nice collection of 'beefy' things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!