Banana Banoffee Muffins

Thursday 23 February 2012




Are you a fan of muffin tops?? You know those lovely bits of baked muffins that rise above the paper case . . . they are all scrummy and a bit crunchy about the edges and yet muffiny at the same time . . . I know you know what I am talking about, and if you are like me, you love them too!!



I just adore muffin tops! In fact, back in Canada I had a muffin tin that only baked muffin tops! I've searched in vain for one over here to no avail. I tried using a yorkshire pudding tin one day but the end results were not quite the same.



I had some bananas I needed to use up today and so I decided to bake some yummy muffins with them. Don't you love muffins and cupcakes . . . they are just like a little cake that is all for you, every scrap of it.



I found this delicious sounding recipe in a cookbook I have entitled Women's Institute Cakes, by Liz Herbert. The WI is a women's organization over here in the UK. You've probably heard of the film Calendar Girls . . . it was a film based on a fund raiser a WI group did over here for a local hospital, by posing for a nude calendar. They were quite the sensation . . . in any case the WI is known for their cakes. It's a great cookbook. Every recipe I have baked out of it so far has turned out ace . . .



Including these scrummy muffins, which give you lots of moreish muffin top, great banana flavour, and a fab toffee bottom. (Yes the toffee sinks, but that only adds to the flavour as it kind of melts into the muffin on the way down.)



They may not be much to look at? But oh oh boy baby, do they ever taste good! If you only make one banana muffin this year, make this one! Nom! Nom! They are truly fantastic! The best banana muffin I have ever eaten, and I've eaten alot of banana muffins through the years! Mmmmmm . . . mighty good indeed!



*Banana Banoffee Muffins*
Makes 10
Printable Recipe

The toffee will sink to the bottom while these are baking, but if anything that makes them even more scrummy as it has time to flavour the cake batter on the way down! Delicious warm or cold.

225g plain flour (2 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g golden caster sugar (3/4 cup)
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2 large free range eggs, beaten
4 TBS sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 ounces butter, melted and cooled (6 TBS)
10 tsp Dulce De Leche or Caramel Toffee

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. LIne a deep bun tin or muffin tray with 10 paper cases. Set aside.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and soda into a bowl. Whisk in the sugar.

Beat together the banana, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and butter.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and dump in the wet. Fold together just until amalgamated. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Place a teaspoon of caramel toffee on the centre of each muffin.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.



Baking in The Cottage today, Nutty Wheat Bread!

7 comments

  1. good morning Marie, these are the tops!!! Ha ha ,,
    super yummy sounding for sure,I'm a WI member as was my mum before me!We didn't make a calendar though, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER-YUM are these, Marie! No muffin top pans here either... how crazy is that?! ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YA ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Can you bake them with gluten-free flour? I am trying to cut out the gluten in my life, along with dairy. Not an easy job for a newly diagnosed lactose intolerant person. Discovered both make me puffy and my joints hurt. I am substituting coconut milk for cream. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, The WI. Mom was member for years. Always goodies in their cookbooks. Including this one. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop stop Marie...you had me at muffin tops!
    These do look the biz. If you ever find those tins, please let us know cos I just adore the tops...the middle and bottom aren't bad either! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom gave me those muffin top tins several years ago and I still use them. But alas, even a muffin top has a bottom : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!