With the American Thanksgiving upon us and Christmas just around the corner I thought it would be fun to share my favourite Holiday Desserts with you this morning. These are my Top Ten of all of the scrumminess that has been brought to life here on The English Kitchen over these past three years!
1. Poached Vanilla Apricots - Delicously tender apricots in a sweet vanilla syrup. Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream for a real treat.
2. Frozen Lemon Souffles - an old favourite from my days cheffing at the Manor down in Kent. Beautifully flavoured and the perfect "light" dessert to have after a heavy meal.
3. Ginger Cheesecake Squares - A smooth and creamy cheesecake stogged full of tiny bits of candied ginger, floating atop a crisp base created from crushed gingernut biscuits.
4. Gingered Pear and Raspberry Pan Dowdy - Pears and raspberries are a fabulous marriage . . . and the candied ginger in the topping is this dessert's crowning glory.
5. Baby Berry Custard Cakes - Delighful little baby cakes with a delicious madiera cake custard, topping a layer of sweet berries baked in raspberry preserves.
6. Almond and Custard Apple Dumplings - A fabulous cheat, scrummy apple dumplings that bake in their very own almond custard. Easy and delicious!
7. Plum Crumble Tart - A delicious plum tart with a hazelnut cookie type of crust and crumble topping. Fabulous served with a dollop of creme fraiche or Greek Yoghurt.
8. Spicy Cranberry, Mincemeat and Almond Eve's Pudding - Spiced fruit baked beneath a delicious almond cake topping. Serve warm with cream or ice cream for a real taste treat!
9. Maple Pumpkin Pie - You can't get any more "holiday" than pumpkin pie, updated with the warm flavour of maple.
10. A Simple Almond Cake - I've shown it here with an apricot compote, but you can use any fruit compote, or even jam. Deliciously easy.
You've probably noticed that fruit figures really prominently in these . . . but that is harvest time isn't it?
Enjoy, and to all of my American friends and family . . . A Very Happy Thanksgiving!