Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

Monday 28 January 2013

Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

I picked up a package of already cooked ham hock bits in the grocery shop the other day.   I was really excited when I found them because this is the type of ingredient I just love to discover.

 Something which is tasty, versatile and that I just know I am going to enjoy using. Win/win/win!

 Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

Best of all, it was separated into two smaller portions, so I knew I could use one and freeze the other for another time, and it was inexpensive . . . another bonus!   Ham hocks are actually quite a wonderful ingredient.   

They give you a lot of tasty bang for your pound/buck.   You can buy them either already cooked or ready to cook yourself, the end result being lots of tender meat that comes in handy for making casseroles and the like.

 Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

Delicious and economical meals like this tasty Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodle dish which you can have on the table in approximately the time it takes you to boil some noodles!  

Seriously!   Cheap, easy, quick and tasty!  What more could you want in a weeknight supper dish!

 Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

I used Malfalda noodles the other night, because I love their crinkly curly edges, kind of like tiny bite sized lasagne noodles.   

They are perfect for this dish because they let all off that delicious sauce nestle into all those little crinkles . . .

 Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

I always have frozen peas in the freezer.  I prefer the petit pois, because they're smaller, more tender and tastier/sweeter in my opinion . . . and I am a frozen pea snob.   

Peas are not my favourite vegetable really, and if I am going to eat them, I want to eat the tiny ones.   I hate overgrown starchy peas.  UGH! They are just one of my pet peeves. Its a texture thing.

Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

The peas add a nice touch of colour and some extra texture, which goes very well with the ham hock bits and the sauce.   I'll be honest that this wasn't Todd's favourite meal, but that is because he SAYS he hates pasta.   

He always eats it though . . . and sometimes even goes back for seconds, which he did when I served this . . . probably because he does love peas and ham.

 Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles

The sauce is simple and easy to put together, and very tasty.   Ham hock, tender and juicy.   Frozen petit pois.  

Tender noodles . . . and a delicious sauce, all put together and on the table in literally minutes.  Win/win/win/win/win!!!  I do hope you'll give it a try!

Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles


*Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

In the time that it takes you to cook some pasta, you can have a delicious and filling supper on the table.   Your family will love this.

2 TBS butter
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup of chicken stock
1 cup of single cream
16 ounces of cooked and coarsely shredded ham hock
1 mug full of frozen petit pois, thawed
1 TBS lemon juice
the finely grated zest of 1/2 un-waxed lemon
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 pound of your favourite pasta, uncooked (I like to use malfalda because it has lots of curly edges)

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil.  Tip in the pasta and cook according to the package directions.

While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet.   Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently until they are beginning to turn golden brown.  Tip in the broth and single cream.  Bring to the boil then reduce to as quick simmer and cook until it begins to thicken up somewhat.  Tip in the ham hock and peas.  Season to taste with some salt and pepper.  Stir in the lemon zest and juice.  Stir in the pasta.  Stir to combine and heat through.  Serve immediately. 

Ham Hock, Peas & Creamy Noodles 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments

  1. That sounds gorgeous, I'm sure I have a ham hock lurking in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely scrumptious dinner
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious...


    Helen
    http://myworldmyhome2012.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one's on the menu for tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my creamy pasta-loving heart has skipped a beat!! Yum!! Your lemon cream pasta is my favorite (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that half a dozen times already, but oh well!) and I have a feeling this one may be joining it! It looks positively delicious! My silly husband can just pick out the peas :)
    Lots of Love from over here, April

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!