Easy Pumpkin Butter

Monday 23 September 2013

  photo index_zps43af5cd8.jpg

One of the things I missed when I first arrived here in the UK was tinned pumpkin.  It was very difficult to find and if you did find it, it cost you an arm and a leg.  I used to be able to get it at Waitrose down south and Sainsbury's.   Recently I scored big time when our local Aldi had it in as a special deal.  I bought about 20 cans!  Todd thought they would think I was crazy buying so many, but I didn't care.  If there is one thing I have learned in my years over here, it's to take advantage of a chance when you get it, because you might never get another one!  Kind of like making hay while the sun shines!

 photo SAM_0588_zps0701eea2.jpg

Of course you can always make your own.  I have done so in the past.  It's a bit labor intensive and it's not that easy to get a mixture that is as dry as the stuff in the tin, but it can be done.  I usually let mine drain in a sieve overnight, which works pretty well.  You can find a great tutorial on how to make your own here.  It's not really that hard.  The hard bit over here is finding the pumpkin!

 photo SAM_0587_zps7e2aa56e.jpg

So anyways, I decided to use some of my precious hoard of tinned pumpkin  to make the Toddster some delicious Pumpkin Butter as an early Autumn treat the other day.  He loved it when I made him apple butter one year, so I thought he would really enjoy some pumpkin butter.  I also thought that in some part it would help to justify my having bought 20 tins!

  photo SAM_0589_zpsd0513658.jpg

Pumpkin Butter is like a thick pumpkin jam . . . nicely spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom . . . very nice it is.   Very nice.  And not that hard to make either if you have a tin of pumpkin to hand.

 photo SAM_0590_zpsf56bd71f.jpg

It's as simple as stirring some pumpkin, honey, brown sugar, and the spices together in a pot along with some lemon juice and then cooking it down until it's nice and thick and jammy . . . it doesn't take too long either, only about half an hour.

  photo SAM_0593_zps20e7ca83.jpg

We enjoyed some while it was still warm, spread on our toasted crumpets the other day.  Oh boy, was it ever good.  I am going to use it to fill a Victorian Sponge or a spice cake one day as well.  That sounds like it would be really lovely.   What do you think???

 photo SAM_0596_zpsa7e5abf3.jpg

I do hope you will give it a go.  I think you would really like it.  I think if I was to spread it onto a few digestive biscuits, it would almost be like having a pumpkin pie . . . I'm going to try that tonight as a snack while we are watching Downton Abby.  I wonder if the Dowager would approve?

 photo dowager-countess-of-grantham_zps07145d49.jpeg

Well . . . .  maybe not.   I don't think I'll ask.

  photo SAM_0586_zps59fbcc89.jpg

*Easy Pumpkin Butter*
Makes 2 cups  

This is so easy to make and tastes so good spread onto biscuits, or crackers, toast, between cake layers, etc.  Just be sure to use the tinned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
1 (15 ounce) tin of pureed pumpkin
135g of soft light brown sugar (2/3 cup)
60ml liquid honey (1/4 cup)
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cardamom
pinch salt   

Combine the pumpkin, sugar, honey, lemon juice and spices in a medium, heavy based saucepan. (I use my le creuset pan) Bring this mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely thickened. Serve with baking powder biscuits, scones, breads, muffins etc.  It's also lovely spread between two plain sponge cake layers. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

11 comments

  1. I can relate to the food hoarding thing : )
    We are a family of pumpkin pie lovers, so I must try this pumpkin butter. I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious Marie! Love pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good, you're making me hungry, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'll bet the Dowager would love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you share your recipe for apple butter? An American friend once gave a delicious recipe for it to my family when I was about 10 which has since been lost, and I'm ever hopeful of replicating it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO making this! yumm.. When I move to England I'm going to try growing my own pumpkins! Can't live without them, esp. at Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know Marie, I don't think I've ever tasted pumpkin! Maybe as it's autumn I should buy a tin and find out if I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I have a recipe for Apple Butter here: https://sites.google.com/site/oakcottagerecipes/apple-butter

    Thanks girls. It is indeed very yummy, and I think the Dowager just might approve, although I doubt she would say so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie, thanks for the tip where I can buy tinned pumpkin at reasonable price. And pumpkin butter? It sounds irresistible, I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you do Aniko! It's really delicious. YOu can also get pumpkin on Amazon and at Skyco.com.uk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So simple and easy and scrumptious looking! Who cares if the dowager approves, I certainly do. Although you made me laugh :) The idea of this spread between the layers of a spice cake... heaven help me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!