Bread, Cheese and Tomato Omelet

Thursday 31 October 2013

   photo SAM_1504_zps1b74da05.jpg
   
I was wanting something very simple for supper one night this week.  Something which didn't require a lot of time, or effort, or ingredients.

 photo SAM_15041_zpse51e5199.jpg

Something which would use what I had to hand in the house, and yet at the same time, I wanted it to be delicious and filling, and pleasing in every way . . . eye, smell, taste etc.

 photo SAM_1505_zpsd759c004.jpg

If you have eggs in the house, you always have a simple supper in the making.  They are so very versatile, and most people like them.   Well, that's been my experience at any rate.   We only ever very seldom have eggs for breakfast.   I would say we more often than not have them for supper if we are having them.

 photo SAM_1506_zps92e67ce8.jpg

They are a wonderful and inexpensive source of protein.  I only buy free range organic eggs, because I think this is an area where these types of things truly matter.  I refuse to support an industry that cages hens, and at the end of the day, when it comes to egg, free range and organic do taste better.

 photo SAM_1507_zps3491b04a.jpg

This is a great way to use up some stale bread as well.   When I told my sister what I was having she said, bread in an omelet??  I said, why not??  You eat toast with an omelet, this is just saving a step!  Because the bread is toasted like croutons first, it does not get soggy.  Scrummo!

 photo SAM_1508_zpse290c88a.jpg

I have used sliced tomatoes, because they go really well with eggs and cheese, but you could use anything else you wanted to.  Maybe spinach, or even leftover cooked broccoli, and cauliflower, or even peppers. 

 photo SAM_1513_zpsf177834d.jpg

Did you know you should never refrigerate your tomatoes??  Tomatoes are one fruit which continues to ripen after it is picked.  I always keep mine in a bowl on the counter.  They taste much, much better for having stood that way for a few days.  They are always so hard and tasteless when you try to eat them as soon as you bring them home from the shops.

In any case, I do hope you will give this simple supper a try.   I just know you will love it!  Sometimes it is the simplest of things which bring us the most joy!

 photo SAM_1501_zpsa6d7ce47.jpg

*Bread, Cheese and Tomato Omelet*
Serves 1
Printable Recipe

Simple supper fare.  It's amazing what you can do with a few simple ingredients, a stale slice of bread, a couple of eggs, some onion, some cheese and a tomato.  Gorgeously delish!

a little butter
1 thick slice of farmhouse style bread
(remove crusts and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
2 large free range eggs
1 TBS cold water
dash of white pepper
salt to taste
1 spring onion, finely chopped
2 TBS grated strong cheddar cheese
1 small ripe tomato, thinly sliced

Melt a knob of butter in a small frying pan.  Add the bread and cook, stirring occasionally until golden and crispy brown.  Remove with a slotted spoon to some paper toweling and keep warm.

Beat the eggs with a little cold water, some white pepper and some of the onion.  Melt some more butter in the heated pan.  Once it begins to foam, tip in the egg mixture.  Add the fried bread and grated cheese.  Cook gently until set, and the bottom is lightly browned. Top one half with the thinly sliced tomatoe.  Fold in half and slide onto a warm dish.  Garnish with a bit more chopped onion if desired.  


  

Happy Halloween from our house to yours.  I hope you have a Spooktacular time!!

5 comments

  1. LOVE the idea of putting bread in an omelette! Never crossed my mind before but will definitely be giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that your taste tester has a hard, hard job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a hard job vic but somebody has to do it!

    Beth, the bread stays nice and crunchy too, really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Todd's apron! And isn't he a good sport posing for a picture like that. Although I see he is well rewarded :-)

    I'd never thought of bread IN an omlette before, but now I've seen it, I wonder why I've never had it! See, you are always full of such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Royal Taste Tester looks happy!

    We had breakfast for supper last night. Eggs, bacon, toast and grits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!