The things I get up to . . .

Wednesday 9 October 2013

 photo get-attachmentaspx_zps8d621f6f.jpg

I do get sent the nicest things, and I'm quite happy to try just about anything anyone wants to send me.  Most times I am not disappointed and others I am ecstatic, especially when it comes down to being sent chocolate goodies, so when I was recently contacted by Prestat and asked would I like to try out their Finest Truffle Advent Calendar, I jumped at the chance!


  photo chocolatier-prestat1_zps2d0e989f.jpg

Established in 1902, Prestat is one of the oldest chocolate houses in London and every truffle is handmade in Great Britain.  Prestat’s first shop was opened in London by descendants of Louis Dufour, the man who created the world’s first recorded chocolate truffle.  

mmmm . . . truffles, who doesn't love truffles.   I adore them, and I will put my hand up, I had never tasted a Prestat Truffle until afforded this opportunity.

 photo SAM_1031_zps0acd4cb1.jpg    

The packaging is bright and colourful and religious.  I loved that on all counts.  As a person who is always seeking to put the "Christ" into Christmas, the vision of the Three Kings was a plus for me.  It is also very "Adult" looking, and not overly childish, so I immediately saw this as being an Advent Calendar that I would be happy giving to my Adult friends and family.  

 photo SAM_1037_zps60d974a0.jpg  

A really neat feature of it is this bit on the back which makes it possible for you to . . . 

  photo SAM_1035_zpse95aebbd.jpg  

Stand it upright as somewhat of a focal point.  This truly can become a part of your Christmas decor if you so wish it to!  I love the bright colours myself.  

 photo SAM_1034_zpsf91423a7.jpg  

It contains two of each of twelve different Prestat Truffles.    The names are so enticing . . . Orange and Frankincense . . . Coconut Oasis . . . Pistachio Summer . . . Sicilian Key Lime . . . Ginger Fire, to name but a few.  Each one sounding more delicious than the last.

 photo SAM_1038_zpsaf8d0af4.jpg  

The front is filled with 24 easy press open doors, each one embossed by the number of the day, from one to twenty four.  

  photo SAM_1039_zpsa348f002.jpg  

Nestled inside a sturdy plastic holder is a sweet delight . . . with it's very own paper case.  Beautifully decorated and looking tastily lush . . . tempting.

 photo SAM_1041_zps0cef5f69.jpg  

Orange and Frankincense . . . the delicate flavour and warmth of orange, with just a hint of the scent of frankincense, altogether beautifully melded into a creamy rich and velvety smooth filling encased  in a crisp and beautifully decorated chocolate shell.

Sigh . . . it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

My verdict.  Total bliss. Worth the indulgence.  The perfect pleasure gift for that chocolate lover in your life. With 24 luxury truffles inside, well worth the expense.

Prestat is one of the few British artisan chocolatiers to make all its own chocolates – giving it complete control of recipes and the sourcing of ingredients as well as the opportunity to nurture the traditional skills needed to create its handcrafted chocolates.

Follow them on TWITTER 
 
Follow them on FACEBOOK  

Read more on their BLOG  

Many thanks to Lucy and Prestat for affording me this most delicious opportunity.  Any and all opinions are my own.

8 comments

  1. lol...at our house, all 24 doors would have been open on the 1st day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona, note I did not show you a later photo! tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My aunt was married to Antoine (Tony) Dufour, who ran the family business for many years, so I really did grow up with Prestat in my life.
    The shop was at 24 South Molton Street, and all the chocolates were made in the basement. I remember particularly `Sarah Berhardts' (made only to order); a sort of inside out violet cream - chocolate inside, with a coating of violet fondant. The shop was staffed by a group of venerable ladies, who knew their customers' likes to a T. Miss Reiss, Mrs Winter, and Miss Blake, I remember particularly.
    In my late teens I worked for Uncle Tony
    briefly, as the work force retired or died. The clientele noticed and remarked on the change, `Has the business changed hands?' was a frequent query.
    Alas, Uncle Tony the kindest of men, didn't move with the times, and when he died the business was sold, and the Dufour connection ceased.
    I have always been pleased to see that, in the present updated packaging, the name `Prestat' remains in lettering which is unchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bunny, how absolutely fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing! I really enjoyed reading your comments and some of the insider history of this company. I can say the truffles are very tasty! If it's good enough for HRH, it is good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that should have read `Sarah Bernhardts', but sadly they are extinct now. So glad you enjoyed my potted history, Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did Bunny! I really did! These chocolates are amazing though. They really are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might treat my kids to these. I am still in trouble for forgetting to buy them advent calendars a couple of years ago!
    Fascinating history from Bunny, I really enjoyed reading that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!