Crispy Potato Roast

Thursday 1 January 2015

 photo SAM_8677_zps7ccfd0da.jpg

I did us some lovely Lamb Chops for our New Years Eve Supper last night.  I simply rubbed them with a mixture of rosemary, thyme, garlic, sea salt, white pepper, olive oil and a bit of  good balsamic vinegar that I mashed together with my mortar and pestle.   I let them macerate for a good hour or more while these delicious potatoes were baking and then I quickly grilled them in a hot skillet with a bit of butter for about a minute and a half per side.   They were done perfectly!


 photo SAM_8691_zpsaf2abc8c.jpg

These lovely potatoes were the perfect side dish!  Simple to make, yet very impressive to look at.  I had found a similar recipe on  Joyously Domestic earlier this year and had pinned it.  But as you know, I cannot leave well enough alone and so I made a few changes and I think they turned out even more fabulously than hers did, if I don't say so myself!

 photo SAM_8689_zps939e6706.jpg

I cut down on some of the fat mixture, using half the amount in her recipe and I added extra flavour by using  a bit of worcestershire sauce,  garlic powder, thyme and paprika.  

 photo SAM_8688_zps5f57260c.jpg

Cutting the potatoes in half lengthwise cut down on the cooking time needed.  I also covered them with foil for the first half hour or so, which also cut down on the cooking time.   I uncovered them for the last half of the cooking time, which afforded them plenty of time to crisp up on all of the edges.  I did not use any bacon.

  photo SAM_8692_zps91728fb6.jpg

These were just gorgeous  . . .  just buttery enough, with plenty of flavour . . .  nice and tender inside, but there were also plenty of lovely crisp golden edges to satisfy.   They went wonderfully with the lamb chops and I am thinking they would also go very well with a steak or even grilled chicken or fish.   I was very happy with how they turned out!

 photo SAM_8687_zps0f636cd3.jpg


*Crispy Potato Roast*
Serves 4 

A deliciously different and very attractive side dish for those times when you want something just a tiny bit special!

2 TBS butter, melted
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into thin slices
8 medium potatoes


  photo SAM_8692_zps91728fb6.jpg


Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a 9 inch round baking dish very well.   Set aside.

 photo SAM_8679_zpsb5a9999e.jpg


Peel your potatoes and cut them into half lengthwise and then cut each half into very thin slices.  Keep them together.   Slide a knife under each potato half and place them into the buttered baking dish.  Stick some onion here and there in between the slices, wedging it in here and there. NO need to put it in between every slice.  Divide it more or less equally amongst the potatoes.   Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour them evenly over top of the potatoes.  Cover the baking dish loosely with foil.  Place into the preheated oven.   Roast for about 45 minutes.  Uncover and roast for a further 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are done through and the are golden brown on top with crispy edges here and there.

 photo SAM_8678_zps387d54b5.jpg

Serve hot with your favourite meats.  Steak and Lamb go especially well.

14 comments

  1. Happy New year Marie!!!
    This look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely wonderful and delicious...I would be so thrilled to serve this to company! Thank you!

    Please stop by...I'm an avid cook and have shared some of my recipes in this recent post!


    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gloria! All the best to you in 2015! xoxo

    Thanks Jane. I will take a look later today. Happy New Year to you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, these look fabulous!! I am absolutely making them this week with our pork tenderloin! I love that you found a way to cut down the cooking time, I've seen that inspiration recipe before and the 2-hour cooking time makes me nervous... Genius, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Carol!

    Not only that April, cutting them in half first lengthwise ensures that they sit in the pan better! Plus the bottoms absorb all that delicious butteriness instead of sitting above it all! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year !
    Theses potatoes look delicious. I'll make them as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Heloise! I do hope you do enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous. They'd really be the perfect side dish. Pinned to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Holly, I hope that you enjoy them when you try them! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apparently the way to,cut them without going all the way through is to,put the potato in the middle,of,two,chopsticks to stop the knife a bit before the end. They look fabulous, I'm going to try mine with a bit of goose fat over the top. Mmmmmm , thanks for sharing. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Frugal, thanks for the tip! These ones are cut all the way through however. They are not hasselback potatoes, although admittedly they do look quite similar. But I will remember your tip the next time I make hasselbacks! Thanks so much! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. We live in France, and I have discovered Yummly during the coronavirus shutdown. Will be making these tonight to go alongside my ratatouille and feta tart. We love potatoes, sadly!
    Gisella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Gisella. I love potatoes and make no apologies! lol Hope you enjoy! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!