Not Your Mama's Potato Salad

Friday 19 June 2015

Not Your Mama's Potato Salad
 


One of my absolute favourite things to make in warmer weather is Potato Salad. The potato is my favourite vegetable and well, potato salad is one of my favourite salads.


My mother always made fantastic potato salad. She would boil the potatoes up the day before. Then on the day she would peel them carefully and cut them into little cubes. Then she would peel a cucumber, remove the seeds and cut that into little cubes as well. 

 A bit of minced onion, some Kraft Salad Dressing, salt and pepper, and chopped egg and it was done and delicious! We used to get a ice cream scooped ball, sitting nicely on a few lettuce leaves on our plates. Very pretty. Very good.


Not Your Mama's Potato Salad
 



Once I got older I discovered that there were many ways to make potato salad. One version I particularly like comes from the Fanny Farmer cookery book. 

 You make a French vinaigrette to infuse the warm potatoes with an extra added dimension of flavour. 

 Then there are potato salads that use only a vinaigrette dressing, like the Barefoot Contessa's, another favourite of mine.



Not Your Mama's Potato Salad
 


This is not your mama's potato salad, nor is it even the Barefoot Contessa's. It's mine. And, dare I say it . . . . it's delicious.


Not Your Mama's Potato Salad



I had a lovely bunch of radishes from our garden tubs that I wanted to use. Fresh radishes, just picked are a wonderfully tasty ingredient. I also had some French Haricot beans that I wanted to use up as well, a most delicious addition.

We ate this yesterday, Al Fresco, with some tasty burgers and ice cold lemonade. It was wonderful . . . quite simply wonderful.



Not Your Mama's Potato Salad



*Not Your Mama's Potato Salad*
Serves 4 to 5
Printable Recipe

Easy to make, refreshing and probably quite different than anything your mother every made. This is incredibly moreish.

2 1/2 pounds waxy new potatoes, such as charlotte, halved if large
5 or 6 radishes, trimmed and finely sliced
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
1/2 a punnet of mustard cress, trimmed
a handful of french haricot green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths

Dressing:
2 TBS creamed horseradish
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 TBS good olive oil
2 TBS  mayonnaise

Not Your Mama's Potato Salad 



Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, adding the green beans during the last five minutes of cooking. Drain well and then tip into a large salad bowl.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour them over the potatoes and beans. Season with some sea salt and cracked black pepper and toss together. Leave to cool.

Add the radishes, spring onions and cress, gently tossing all together. Serve at room temperature.

4 comments

  1. Horseradish..FANTASTIC addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monique! I don't know why more people don't use it with potatoes! It goes fabulously with the earthy flavour of a good potato and gives the salad just a hint of snap!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radishes are my favorite veg, so I don't know why I've never considered adding them to a potato salad. I will be giving this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!