Shakshuka (Pan Roasted Eggs in a Pepper, Onion and Tomato Sauce)

Monday 1 June 2015

 photo SAM_9006_zpspznxyy9v.jpg

In my later years I have developed a much more interesting palate and there are things I would cook and try now that I wouldn't have even thought of trying when I was younger.   We also have such beautiful produce, eggs, etc. here in the UK,  and such a wide variety . . . that I just enjoy  cooking and eating with gusto!  (And it shows blah . . . )

 photo SAM_9007_zpsh8djhn9q.jpg

This is a recipe I had noticed in the Yotam Ottolenghi Cookbook, Plenty, quite a while ago.    I had cooked some eggs in a delicious tomato sauce before.   (Pan Roasted Eggs and Tomatoes.)  They were really good  . . .  this recipe was different however . . .  there were onions, peppers and some different herbs and things in it.

 photo SAM_9008_zpsqbzuz5vk.jpg

It sounded simple and delicious.  It's a North African dish apparently . . .  but it's quite similar to the way that the Turkish cook eggs, but again with different herbs and spices.  The Turks use peppers and tomatoes as well.   The Italians also cook a similar dish, using just tomatoes, garlic and basil.  (No surprise there!)

  photo SAM_9011_zpsrl1jb8fe.jpg

I changed the recipe ever so slightly to adapt it to what I actually had in the house . . . using a green pepper instead of a yellow pepper.  I also used dried coriander as I didn't have any fresh (that's parsley you see here.) and I added a splash of dry white wine.  Oh yes . . .  I also used a good quality tin of tomatoes (Cirio, they are my favourite) instead of fresh . . .  because to be honest . . . fresh tomatoes are just not that good at this time of year, and tinned tomatoes always are.

 photo SAM_9012_zpsg0qedenf.jpg

I also cut the recipe in half,  because there are only two of us.  I also didn't cook two eggs a piece . . .  we would never have been able to eat two eggs a piece.  One each suited us just fine.  All in all, we both really enjoyed this very much.  The vegetable sauce was so flavourful and went very well with the eggs.  Todd had his with buttered crusty bread . . .  I had mine with hot buttered toast.   Toast and eggs are just what I am used to . . . I have some leftover sauce which I think I will use on a pizza tomorrow.   Sounds like a plan!

  photo SAM_9018_zpsjoi3ckms.jpg

*Shakshuka*
Serves 4 with abundance

A delicious North African dish which makes use of common ingredients, put together in a really tasty way.  Serve it hot with some crusty bread for dipping. 

1/2 tsp cumin seeds
180ml of light olilve oil (3/4 cup)
2 large spanish type of onions, peeled and sliced
2 each of red and yellow peppers, cut into strips
4 tsp soft light brown sugar
2 bay leaves, broken in half
1 tsp thyme leaves
2 TBS chopped coriander, plus extra to garnish (cilantro)
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1 tin (400g) of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, undrained (14 ounce)
1/2 tsp saffron threads
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper to taste
up to 250ml of water (1 cup)
(you won't know how much you need until you are cooking it)
8 large free range eggs
crusty white bread for serving 


 photo SAM_9014_zps7slzsewz.jpg 

In a large skillet toaste the cumin seeds on high heat for several minutes until quite fragrant without burning.   Add the oil and onions.   Cook, stirring occasionally for about five minutes, then add the peppers, sugar, and herbs.    Continut to cook over a high heat until they really begin to take on a nice colour.

 photo SAM_9019_zpsnkktzw3q.jpg


Add the tomatoes, saffron, cayenne, and some salt and black pepper.  Reduce the heat to a slow simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes, adding water as needed from time to time.  It should have a pasta sauce type of consistency.   Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.  Remove the bay leaves and discard.    Make some hollows in the mix and crack in the eggs.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with a lid.   Cook on a very gentle heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs are just set.  Sprinkle with more chopped coriander and serve.

4 comments

  1. Sort of a Huevos Rancheros twist?

    Colorful ..bet it makes a nice meal:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose they are similar Monique, except there's no beans or tortilla. It did make a nice meal, somewhat a change from the ordinary! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one! I agree with you that one egg is more than enough as it is quite filling, especially accompanied by bread to soak up all that spicy, tomato goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased Marie! It always makes me happy that you are trying these older recipes! Thank you! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!