A Blueberry Pie to Write Home About

Wednesday 16 September 2015

 photo DSCN3211_zpstm3i1rbu.jpg

I was checking on here the other day and I couldn't believe that I didn't have my blueberry pie recipe on here!  Not surprising really as when I first moved over here in the year 2000, blueberries were not an ingredient that was readily available.  Thankfully that has changed now and we have tons of them, and at reasonable prices.  In fact, Todd and I now grow our own.


  photo DSCN3212_zpsujmfetmi.jpg

You know, I must have tried about a bazillion blueberry pie recipes in my lifetime, but I always come back to the same one.   I think that when it comes to something as delicious as blueberries . . .  you can't get much tastier than a simple, honest and straightforward recipe.

 photo DSCN3213_zpssjebzkpk.jpg

A simple recipe which allows that delicate sweetness of the blueberries to shine through in an honest way, with no faffing about or other flavours to distract you.

 photo DSCN3214_zps8hvjxh8c.jpg

This recipe is one from a paperback edition of the Fanny Farmer Cooking School Cookbook, which I purchased back when I was still in high school.  It's about wore out now, which tells you just what a good cookery book it is!!  You can't go wrong with simple flavours, presented in the correct way, and done well.  But then  . . .  I'll let this pie speak for itself.

  photo DSCN3215_zpsrccqz9v1.jpg

*Blueberry Pie*
Serves 8
I only just realized I didn't have my blueberry pie recipe on here.  It's time I fixed that, so here it is.  I think it's the best.  I am biased however. (Recipe adapted from an early 1970 edition of the Fanny Farmer Cooking School Cookbook)

pastry for a two crust 9 inch pie
800 g of fresh blueberries, picked over and cleaned (about 5 cups)
3 TBS flour
the zest of one lemon
200g (1 cup) sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS butter
egg wash (1 small egg beaten with 1 tsp water)
demerera sugar to sprinkle


 photo DSCN3216_zpsclnwuuen.jpg


Butter a 9 inch deep pie dish.  Roll out half of the pastry to 1/8 inch thickness to fit into the pan, leaving 1/2 to 1 inch overhang.

 photo DSCN3217_zpsqo0egjsc.jpg


Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.   Have ready a baking tray lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray.  (Just in case of overflow of juices from the pie.)

 photo DSCN3218_zpstldlzlad.jpg


Whisk the salt and sugar together with the flour and lemon zest in a large bowl.   Whisk in the lemon juice.   Add the berries and set aside for about 5 minutes.  Pour into the bottom crust.  Dot with butter.

 photo DSCN3219_zpsedhu1p2v.jpg


Roll out the top crust to cover.  Brush the edges of the bottom crust with some egg wash and then Place the top crust over the berries to cover.  Press edges firmly and then trim.  Crimp decoratively.  Cut a few slashes in the top to vent.  Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with demerara sugar.  (turbinado)  Place onto the baking tray and place on the bottom rack of the oven.   Bake for 10 minutes.

 photo DSCN3220_zpsp3nttckb.jpg


Reduce the oven temperature to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Move the baking tray up to the middle oven rack and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.   If you see that the crust is browning too quickly, cover lightly with foil.  Allow to cool before cutting into wedges to serve.   Alternately it may be served warm, but the pieces won't hold as well together.

 photo DSCN3221_zpsviukyrjd.jpg

I still miss the wild blueberries that we picked every summer when I was growing up.  It took a lot of them to make a pie, but the flavour was incomparable.  The cultivated ones are not quite as filled with the joys of summer, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

6 comments

  1. Thanks Monique, not quite as tasty as it would be with wild blueberries, but meh . . . beggers can't be choosers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria yummy as always~ can you tell me how much the cook booklets are! and how much to send to South Carolina thank you Heather xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,,the cookbooklets are £5 each (about 6.50) or I sell them in groups for a discount. If you click on the cookbooklets tab underneath my header you can find out more. xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!