Artichoke Chicken

Friday 1 January 2016

Artichoke Chicken

This is a delicious and simple to prepare entree that I probably haven't made in about two years now.  It was something that I used to cook up for the Mr quite often when I cooked at the Manor down South.  

It was his favourite meal and often requested. It is very quick and easy to make.  Its also very tasty!



 Artichoke Chicken

I never minded making it for him, even as a last minute request.  I love it when people love to eat what I cook and making them happy. Pleasing others makes me happy.  

I was sitting here thinking yesterday, looking at a package of chicken breasts and then I thought to myself, in all the years I made this for the Mr . . . I never ever actually made it for us at home.  Time to rectify that!!!

 Artichoke Chicken

It's no surprise that it was one of his favourite suppers.  The chicken always turns out moist.  I'm not sure why that is. 

Perhaps it's those tangy marinated artichokes in the topping . . . could they be the secret tenderizing ingredient???  All that flavour . . . garlic and herbs . . . and the slight tang of the artichokes, meltingly tender . . .



Maybe it's that creamy mayonnaise that you stir the artichokes into???  I like to use a good quality mayonnaise. I use Hellman's or a French Mayonnaise.  

 You can use low fat.  They both work quite well, although you may find the low fat one to be a tad bit sweeter. They have to put something in there to replace the rich flavour of fat.

 Artichoke Chicken

Do you think it might be all that delicious Parmesan cheese???   It adds a deliciously savoury and salty touch to the mix. 

This goes so very well with the artichokes and creamy mayonnaise . . . and the herbs . . . let's not forget the herbs . . . and the garlic too . . .

Artichoke Chicken

Know what I think???  I think it's all of them together . . . slathered over those tasty pieces of chicken.  That and the quick cooking time . . . the ease of preparation . . . not to mention that extra little bit of love that I throw into the mix.

That, I can't help you with folks.  It has to come from YOUR heart . . . but I'm sure that won't be a problem.
 
 “Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.”
 ~Craig Clairborne

 Artichoke Chicken

Bon Appetit!!

Artichoke Chicken

 *Artichoke Chicken Bake*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is quick, easy and delicious.  What more could you ask for.  You can never have too many recipes like this one in your repertoire.

1 280g jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed (about 1 cup of artichoke hearts)
135g of finely grated Parmesan Cheese (3/4 cup)
165g of good quality mayonnaise, can use low fat (3/4 cup)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
pinch of dried crushed chilies
1/2 tsp freeze dried basil
1/2 tsp freeze dried oregano
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a shallow baking dish.  Place the chicken pieces into the baking dish.  Season each one generously with salt and black pepper.

Stir together the artichokes, mayonnaise, garlic, crushed chilies, basil, oregano and cheese, mixing well together.  Spread this mixture over top of the chicken pieces, covering them evenly.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.  The juices should run clear.  (Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts it may not take this long.) 

Artichoke Chicken 

This is really delicious served with some potatoes or rice on the side. I personally love steamed rice with this myself. I also like to serve a leafy mixed salad and a vegetable.  As artichokes have a very similar flavour to green beans, I would recommend another vegetable. Perhaps some mashed winter Squash, turnips or carrots/peas.  Even steamed Brussels Sprouts would go very well.  

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

  Follow my blog with Bloglovin






6 comments

  1. Sounds good Marie! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to wish you a Happy New Year Marie. I do so enjoy your recipes both on Face Book and here on your blog! Thank you for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Bernideen'! Thank you so much! Xo

      Delete
    2. Do you have USA conversions for recipes?

      Delete
    3. Anonymous, I think if you take a closer look at the recipe, you will see American measurements in brackets at the end of each ingredient called for. I try to provide both British and North American measures for all my recipes if I can.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!