Baked Apple Donuts

Saturday 16 January 2016

 photo DSCN4898_zpsx61n8xa6.jpg

I have several recipes posted on here for donut muffins.  This recipe for Jam Donut Muffins is very good.   This recipe for Glazed Donut Muffins is also excellent!  This recipe for Donut Muffins is my absolute favourite.  They are also filled with jam, but are more cakey than the first one.  All are good.   Today I am showing you a recipe for Baked Apple Donuts, which are a mini muffin that greatly resemble donut holes when done!



 photo DSCN4899_zpsj3h6o06q.jpg

They are stogged with nutmeg . . .  oh I do love nutmeg, don't you?

  photo DSCN4900_zpsgdkhrlnf.jpg

They are also stogged with grated apple and chopped nuts.  I used pecans today, but walnuts also work very well.

 photo DSCN4901_zpstrxyuz4m.jpg

They puff up really nicely in the oven with a crisp shell and tender moist insides, flavoured with the merest hint of grated apple and plenty of nutmeg . . .  and some crunch from the nuts. 

 photo DSCN4902_zpsjwj9ns1c.jpg

Rolled in melted butter and cinnamon sugar, they go down a real treat.   Sometimes just a little bite of what puts a smile on the face is enough to cheer the heart on a gloomy winter day.   These are fab tea party treats as well.  Just sayin!

   photo DSCN4904_zpsj7eqblvc.jpg

*Baked Apple Donuts*
Makes about 2 dozen  mini donuts

Cinnamon sugar dusted with a  hint of apple flavour, these are just like donut holes.  Perfect for tea parties or to pack in lunches. 

210g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
95g of granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
110g of solid white vegetable shortening (1/2 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
60ml of milk (1/4 cup)
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
30g of chopped nuts (1/4 cup) 

To finish:
120g butter, melted (1/2 cup)
cinnamon and sugar mixture to coat
(depends on how much you coat them.  Start with 95g (1/2 cup) sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon mixed well together. 

 photo DSCN4908_zpsjydynshn.jpg


Preheat the ovne to 180*C/350*F gas mark 4.   Butter a couple of large mini muffin tins very well.  Set aside.

 photo DSCN4907_zps5fctgoqa.jpg


Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and nutmeg.   Drop in the shortening and cut it in until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.  Stir in the nuts.  Beat togegther the egg and milk, add the apple and add this mixture all at once to the dry ingredients.  Mix together thoroughly.  The mixture will be thick.  Drop by TBS into the prepared muffin cups, filling them almost 2/3 full.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

 photo DSCN4909_zps3jy8ngxy.jpg


Roll the hot baked donuts in the melted butter and then in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Serve warm.  Any leftovers can be reheated at a low temperature.

Enjoy!  (These go down really well with a nice hot mug of cocoa!)

16 comments

  1. Marie!♥ Baked..apple..nutmeg..and the rolled part..I have made your baked donuts..just not this one..will remedy that soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is just a tad bit different Monique! Xo

      Delete
    2. And the verdict is in..like every other recipe I have made of yours these are fantastic
      Our coffee maker broke last Sat..just would not turn on..Jacques loves his coffee..just 1 cup..and we alternate w/ geen tea/herbal teas..anyways I used our Royal Bank points and ordered a coffee maker..so while he was redaing the instructions..because I don't LOL..I thought let me try these..so I did..and 10 secs in the microwave for a reheat and..you're in heaven..didn't have shortening so I used Becel..so good..that nutmeg is the kicker..and the buttah..and the cinnamon..and my apple was faint..but there..Keeper!
      Merci!

      Delete
    3. Oh yum, I was thinking of using olive oil spread myself instead of the shortening next time. It's nice to know you were able to use Becel successfully. Yes, the apple isn't really pronounced but I expect that would depend on what type of apple you used! Seriously speaking they are hard to keep your hands off, but I am doing my best! I am happy you have enjoyed! I love LOVE it when that happens! xoxo

      Delete
    4. It always happens w/ your recipes.

      I read that you can sub butter for shortening if you increase the butter a bit...but my butter was hard and Becel..is softer..thank goodness it worked..you never know!I put 120 grams Becel..just in case it acted like butter:)

      Delete
    5. That's good to know Monique! I will note it for future use. Love that you weigh when baking. It is a much better way of baking don't you think? xo

      Delete
    6. That little Starfrit flat scale I have had for yrs..has been so useful!!

      Delete
    7. I couldn't be without mine now. In face I have one that I keep at my mom's also! xo

      Delete
  2. Hi Marie - sorry this has nothing to do with this post, but I have a question about your toenail pudding posted earlier. My pudding steamer unfortunately is shaped like a bunt cake pan with a hole in the middle. I use it to make my christmas pudding. I imagine the steam time will be different that from what you have for the toenail pudding. Do you have any thoughts on this? It's super hard to find good pudding molds over here. I've also used a tin coffee can in the past and have these. Which would be better? Thanks for your help! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thanks for your question. As it is not as dense as a Christmas pudding, the steam time would be shorter for sure using a pan like you have. Personally I would think the tin coffee can would work best, even if it isn't the proper shape. It will still be delicious! Or you could use the bundt type tin, but I am not sure what to advise you as per the steam time. Let me know how you get on! xo

      Delete
  3. OK - I'll give the coffee tin a go. Going to make this for dinner tonight. Appreciate all your blog posts. Hey, why aren't you applying for the Great British Bake Off? You'd be super in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, let me know how it goes Lisa! You are not the first to ask me that question. I have worked professionally as a chef and that disqualifies me from applying for any of those types of shows and to be honest, I enjoy what I am doing and have no greater aspirations! But thanks for the vote of confidence! xo

      Delete
  4. I AGREE Marie..you would be amazing on that show..I told you that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you did Monique! I have had two brushes with television through the years and did not enjoy either one! xo

      Delete
  5. I can not describe how comforting and appetizing those little donuts look to me! I've very glad to discover your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Romain. I hope you will bake them, and I hope you will visit the blog again! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!