Lazy Cabbage Roll Bake

Thursday 7 January 2016

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

One of the favourite meals my mother used to make for our family when I was growing up was Cabbage Rolls.   My father loved the meat but not the cabbage.  

I loved the cabbage but not the meat, so we used to trade.  I'd give him my meat and he would give me his cabbage.  Everyone was happy.   Mom used to cook carrots and potatoes in the pot along with the cabbage rolls.  It was a rib sticking meal in one!

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage and cabbage rolls remain a real favourite in my home to this day, although admittedly there are times when I am just craving the flavour of them but hesitate to make them as they are a LOT of work. 

 Lazy Cabbage Rolls

There is a cabbage and sausage casserole I make which is called Stuffed Cabbage Trou Style and its just gorgeous.  

The other day I got to thinking . . . what if I used the same principle  except adapted it to use Cabbage roll flavours . . .  and we all know what happens then.  I just had to give it a go!

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

It turned out to be quite delicious!  I am so glad that I made it.  It was a lot less trouble than regular cabbage rolls, and yet it had the flavour of cabbage rolls, compacted into a round cake that you can cut into wedges.

 Lazy Cabbage Rolls

You will want to use a good quality sausage with this.  I like Debbie & Andrew's Sausages myself.   They are meaty and organic and gluten free, and their Cumberland are just filled with flavour.  I like to know what is in my sausage and these are quite simply fabulous.  In any case I hope you will give this a go!  I think you will find it's delicious, simple to make and a real family pleaser.

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

 *Lazy Cabbage Roll Bake*

Serves 4


I adapted my recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Trou Style to incorporate flavours I grew up with.  It was delicious 


 3 to 41/2 pounds of cabbage, cut into thin strips
1 1/2 pounds of good quality, free range sausages (you will want a well flavoured one.
I like Cumberland Sausage, but a spicy Italian would also work well)
salt and pepper to taste
butter
1 415g tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, undrained (14 oz tin) 


Lazy Cabbage Rolls

Pre-heat the oven to 150*C/300*F.  Generously butter a large casserole dish.  Set aside.  Cut a piece of greaseproof paper to fit the top and set this aside as well.



Place the sliced cabbage into a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil.  Cook for five minutes, then drain well.  Run cold water over it to stop it from cooking any further and drain well again.


Remove the skins from the sausages and discard.

Layer 1/3 of the cooked cabbage in the casserole dish.  Season well with salt and pepper.  Top with 1/2 of the sausage meat, pressing it out to fit over the cabbage.  Top with another 1/3 of the cabbage.  Season again and then top with the remaining sausage meat, pressing it out as before.  Top with the last of the cabbage, season again,  Pour the tomatoes over top. Dot with butter.  Cover tightly with a layer of greaseproof and the the lid of the casserole dish.  Bake in the pre-heated oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the cabbage is meltingly tender.  Serve, sliced into wedges with your choice of side dishes.  We like steamed rice and mixed vegetables with this.  Enjoy!

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

Note - I was not sent any sausages to use in this recipe, nor was I paid to promote Debbie & Andrew's sausages.  I quite simply like them and I think you would too. 

Lazy Cabbage Rolls 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


2 comments

  1. Great idea! I remember making one that was whole and you blanched it whole then peeled back every leaf and stuffed..TOOK FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ii have a recipe like that too Monique! Too much trouble! I think you might like this, xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!