Polka Dot Crispie Treats

Saturday 23 January 2016

 photo a0f3b95be6ac45ca6aa221f2563ee252_zpscb17b4c1.jpg

Have you ever had a day when you really didn't feel like cooking at all, or even doing much of anything??? It doesn't happen to me very often, but yesterday was one of those days.  I was having a horrible no good rotten day.  Nothing that I could put my finger on . . . I just felt a bit blah.  Not sick . . . just a bit tired, run down . . .  and frustrated by nothing in particular . . . yet frustrated with everything, at the same time.  Grumpy.  Out of sorts.

For lunch I rifled through the fridge and put together a pizza.  There was a few bits of cheese that needed using up, some leftover cooked sausages that needed to be used, and some spring onions and black olives left from the other day when I made some Mexican dip.  They all ended up on top of the pizza . . .



and it was good . . . but it didn't chase the blues away.  I still felt out of sorts.  Then I remembered those lovely herbal teas I was sent the other day.  They looked and smelled delicious . . .  so why not.  A hot drink is often a nice pick me up.





And so I brewed a cup or two . . . and served it in my Katie Alice teacup.  And it was good.



Admittedly the crispie treats didn't hurt either.  I made them yesterday morning, and they went down a real treat with my afternoon refreshment break.  At my diabetic cooking class I have learned that it is okay to have a sugary treat once in a while, just so long as you don't go overboard.  In otherwords, a small bite.  And that's it for the day.



I still didn't feel much like cooking . . . but I did feel a bit more cheerful and not as grumpy as I had.  The question remains . . . was it the tea, or the sugar . . . or the chocolate . . . or that pretty tea cup.

Maybe it was all of them . . .

 

*Crispie Polka Dot Treats*
Makes 12 bars
Printable Recipe

A real favourite with the kiddos, big and small, young and old!

60g unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
284g white mini marshmallows (10 ounces)
60g peanut butter (1/2 cup)
110g crisp rice cereal (5 cups)
1 (147g) bag of colored candy coated chocolate buttons (M&M's,  Smarties, etc.)

 

Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray or butter.  Set aside.

Heat the butter in a large nonstick saucepan over low heat until melted.  Add the peanut butter, stirring to melt.  Add the marshmallows and continue to cook, stirring, until smooth..  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rice cereal to combine.  Then stir in the chocolate candies.  Press the mixture into the prepared pan, pressing it in evenly.  Cool completely until set before cutting into 3 inch square bars.

Note:  It is often easier to place the marshmallows, butter and peanut butter into a large microwaveable bowl and heat the mixture in the microwave on high, removing it and stirring it every minute or so, until the mixture is smooth and completely amalgamated.  

4 comments

  1. I have had those days..

    you are not alone..my Little will love those polka dots:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great fun Monique! Kiddies love them! xo

      Delete
  2. I blogged a recipe for Crunch Granola today which is okay for diabetics. I have this in the morning with some yogurt. Also, I blogged a mocha drink made with Pero. These together are quite glycemic but they don't linger very long. I allow myself to be very hungry before lunch (usually 1 piece of whole grain bread with meat and cheese on it and a little mustard - I'm busy and don't have a lot of time to prepare meals). Dinner, tonight, anyway, is an open-faced hamburger with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles and all. A snack might be a half-popping of popcorn with some herbal tea. It's a narrow road we diabetics walk. I fight the glycemic levels with fiber and veggies. My family loves the granola (too much, I think).You are a great cook, Marie, and I enjoy reading your blog. Kathie in Odessa, WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathie, I will be over to check out your Granola recipe. You are right about it being a narrow road living with Diabetes. I deny myself most treats all the time. Sometimes it can be a struggle to get in all that I need, as far as fibre, etc. goes. But it is the price I am paying for having been far too careless with my diet in my younger years! Thanks so much for your lovely comment! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!