Spicy Potato Tacos

Monday 18 January 2016

 photo DSCN4783_zpsojucpjko.jpg

There are two things in life which I really enjoy.  One is potatoes and the other is Mexican Food.  When I first moved over here to the UK, it was extremely difficult to get the ingredients to make Mexican anything.  I used to bring them back with me every time I went to Canada for a visit, or order them from a very expensive  North American supplier here inthe UK.  Happily it is a lot easier now and most grocery stores have a dedicated Mexican Food section in them.  It is very much a Briticized version of Tex Mex . . . but at least it isn't the vast no-man's land that it used to be!

  photo DSCN4784_zpstrtirjar.jpg

These might not look like much, but they are absolutely flippin' delicious if I don't say so myself.  Spicy Potato Tacos . . .  two of my loves all rolled into one.

 photo DSCN4785_zpsj02l6zxv.jpg

The filling is made from roasted baking and sweet potatoes, mashed together with roasted garlic.  Roasted garlic has such a mellow sweetness that goes so well in these types of dishes.

  photo DSCN4786_zps9mcstw0o.jpg

Sauteed onions and chipotle chilies in adobe sauce . . .  plus a tasty mix of spice and of course cheese make of the remaining flavours in the filling.

 photo DSCN4788_zps0m3v6swj.jpg

Folded into corn tortillas and then browned in a hot skillet until the tortillas get all crispy and the cheese and potato filling gets all scrummy hot and melted together.

  photo DSCN4789_zpstojfyuff.jpg

My favourite bits are the little bits of potato and cheese that ooze out of the tacos and brown a bit on the skillet too . . .  served with my favourite taco toppings of sour cream, guacamole, tomato salsa and shredded lettuce leaves, these always go down a real treat.   In fact I had to use rocket the other day as I didn't have any lettuce, and that was delish also!  (I love rocket!)

 photo DSCN4790_zpsyady0scd.jpg


*Spicy Potato Tacos*
serves 4 

These are delicious, especially if the potato is your favourite vegetable like it is for me! 

For the filling:
1 large Sweet Potato
2 baking potatoes
1 head of garlic
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 TBS butter
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano flakes
1 tsp coriander flakes
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp chipotle chilies in adobe sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt and black pepper to taste
60g of cheddar cheese grated, I use strong (1/2 cup)
65g of jack cheese grated (1/2 cup) 

To finish:
olive oil
8 corn and wheat tortillas 

To serve:
your choice of taco garnishes (chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, olives, chopped onion, etc.)


 photo DSCN4791_zpsizzt7gxu.jpg


Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Wash the potatoes well and prick with a fork.  Place on a baking tray.  Cut the top off of the head of garlic.  Put it onto a square of foil. Drizzle with the olive oil and wrap the foil up over it, twisting it closed.  Place onto the baking tray with the potatoes.   Put the tray into the oven and roast until the potatoes are fork tender.   Check the garlic after about 25 to 30 minutes.  Remove if it is done.  It should take approximately 1 hour to bake the potatoes.  Remove from the oven and let cool until you can handle them.




 photo DSCN4792_zps1okse5mz.jpg


Melt the butter in a large skillet.  Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender.   Scoop the flesh from the sweet and baking potatoes into a bowl.  Add the cooked onion, cumin, oregano, coriander, smoked paprika, chipotle chilies and balsamic vinegar.   Mash coarsely to combine well.   Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Stir in the cheeses.


 photo DSCN4793_zpshmtojhfb.jpg


Lay out the tortillas.  Divide the filling amongst them spreading it out onto one half only of each.  Fold the other half over to cover and form a taco.  Brush both sides with olive oil.   Wipte the skillet clean and then reheat over medium heat. Cook two tacos at a time until golden brown on each side and the filling is heated through and the cheese has melted.  Keep warm while you cook the remaining tacos.



 photo DSCN4794_zpsjtfidwvq.jpg

Serve hot with your ckhoice of taco garnishes.  Enjoy!

6 comments

  1. I am not a Mexican expert..but these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy looking! I've cut way down on white potatoes in the interest of my carb count, but would love to do something will all sweet potatoes. I am a fan of Mexican flavors and this would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, did you know that New Potatoes are Low GI? You could use them instead of regular potatoes, or all sweet potatoes. I think that would be pretty tasty also! xo

      Delete
  3. I made these for dinner this evening and they were delicious - the sweet potato really adds another dimension to the flavour profile. Really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Marie, I am so happy that you have enough confidence in my recipes to use them and then that you enjoy them when you do! That really makes my day and is the primary reason I do this. So that people can share and will share in the tastiness that happens in my kitchen! I think these are quite moreish! Must make them again soon! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!