Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones

Saturday 16 April 2016

Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones




It's a good thing this recipe only makes two scones because if it made any more than that I would be in deep, deep trouble!  These are fabulous!  


I found the recipe over on a page called Dessert for Two and it looked like it would be something we might enjoy and so I went for it!

Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones




On looking a bit closer at the recipe I could see that it was a riff on a delicious scone recipe from Wolfgang Puck,  albeit of a much smaller quantity and with a Maple Glaze added.   



There really IS nothing new under the sun, only new ways of doing things!



Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones





I didn't do anything different, I just made them and baked them and then we devoured them.  


I have done the hard work of converting the measurements to UK measurements and that is how I made them, using UK measurements, so that I could be sure that they worked, and they did.  So that was my addition to the recipe.



 Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones





You really have to bake these.   They are quite simply amazingly fabulous.  You can thank me later.  ;-)



Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones






*Small Batch Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones*
Makes 2 very large scones

These are absolutely flippin delicious.  Adapted from a recipe found on Dessert For Two. 

175g of plain flour (1 1/4 vups)
50g caster sugar (1/4 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp freshy ground black pepper
4 TBS unsalted butter cold
78g of heavy cream + 1 TBS (1/3 cup +1 TBS)
1 large free range egg yolk 

You will also need 1 additional TBS of cream 

To glaze:
43g of icing sugar, sifted (1/3 cup)
1 1/2 TBS real maple syrup (plus some of the additional TBS cream from above) 


 Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones





Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a baking sheet with some baking paper.  Set aside. 

Sift the flour, sugar, soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the black pepper.  Dice the butter and drop it into the mixture. Rub it in using a snapping motion with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.  


Whisk together the egg yolk and cream.   Pour this over the flour mixture and then mix together with a fork to make a shaggy type of dough.  Don't overmix, but all of the ingredients should be well incorporated. 

 Using your hands, divide the dough in half and shape into two mounds on the baking sheet, leaving plenty of space in between to spread.  (I would leave 4 inches) 

Brush with some of the additional TBS of cream. 


Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones 





Bake in the preheated oven for  approximately 15 minutes until golden brown at the edges and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. 

While the scones are baking, whisk together the icing sugar, maple syrup and leftover cream to make a thick glaze.  You may need to add a drop or two of warm water.  Spoon this mixture evenly over the scones as soon as they come out of the oven.  Serve warm.

Maple Glazed Black Pepper Scones




Mmmm . . .  gorgeous served warm, and pretty damn good served cold.  These babies are huge so my husband and I shared one the first day and then had the second one the day after cold.  Scrumdiddlyumptious!

Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. OK I will try:) And thank you:) Very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these for afternoon tea yesterday. You know me - I can't wait when I see something new to try out! They are really, really delicious and so easy to make. Sadly, I'm not as restrained as you, so we ate one each. Luckily we only had soup for dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!