Mom's Beef Pot Pie

Wednesday 13 April 2016

 photo DSCN6409_zpsrht2d8zq.jpg 

I cooked a roast at the weekend and had plenty of leftovers afterwards, which doesn't make me sad in the least.  I love leftovers almost more than I love the original meals!!  In my opinion, leftovers taste twice as nice!  I don't understand people who throw away their leftovers.  They are missing out on real treasures!  Yesterday I turned some of them into a tasty Pot Pie!  NOBODY complained!

 photo DSCN6405_zpsxbmv8wae.jpg

When I was a child, I was always really excited when my mother made a roast dinner because I knew that there would be pot pies at the end of it all.  My mom knew how to squeeze every little ounce of eating pleasure out of a roast dinner and pot pies are about the most economical thing you can do with the leftovers.  They stretch a little bit of this and a little bit of that a very long way!

  photo DSCN6416_zps1lmxy94o.jpg

I always make my own pastry, but if you are not a dab hand at making pastry you can use ready roll.  You will need enough for a bottom and a top crust.  Other than that all you need is a bunch of leftovers.  And it needn't be beef!

 photo DSCN6417_zpstv0sj9xz.jpg

If you have leftover roasted meat of any kind along with the attendant vegetables and gravy, you have the makings of a pot pie.  Today I used some beef, peas, carrots, swede, roast potatoes and of course the gravy.  I add a finely grated small onion for additional flavour and some herbs and seasoning.

 photo DSCN6418_zpsivi8nznx.jpg

For Beef I use summer savory or thyme . . .  this would also work very well with chicken, pork or turkey.   Leftover lamb would go well with mint or rosemary.  After Christmas I make pot pies with turkey and ham.  I just make a light cream sauce for those.  Oh boy but they are some good!

 photo DSCN6419_zpsc7fajbrj.jpg

*Mom's Beef Pot Pie*
makes one 9 inch pie

It's amazing what you can throw together with a few leftovers.  Stretches a little bit a very long way in a most delicious manner! 

sufficient pastry for one two crust pie
1 cup of leftover roast beef, cut into cubes
1 cup of leftover roasted potatoes, cut into cubes
1 cup of leftover peas and carrots, carrots cut into cubes
1 cup of leftover cooked mashed swede (rutabaga, if you don't have this, add extra peas and carrots and potatoes)
2 cups of leftover gravy (if you don't have two cups, add whole milk, sufficient to make up the difference)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp summer savoury
1 small onion, peeled and grated
1 TBS cream 

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. 


Mix together the leftovers in a bowl, along with the summer savoury, salt, black pepper and grated onion.  Set aside. 

Roll out half of your pastry to line the bottom of a nine inch pie dish with a bit of an overhang.  Brush the edges with a bit of cream.  Spread the filling into the dish.   Roll out the remaining pastry to cover.  Fit over the filling.  trim the edges of the pastry and then crimp it all the way around, pressing the bottom and top crusts together.  Brush the top with a bit of cream.  Cut some slits in the top to vent. 

Bake in the preheated oven on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 minutes, turn the temperature down to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Bake for a further 20 to 25 minutes until the filling is hot and bubbling and the pastry is golden brown and crisp.  Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.

 photo DSCN6420_zps07ugqbde.jpg

I served some homemade oven chips and salad on the side.  It was a fab meal.  I hope you will give them a go!  I think you'll agree with me in saying with leftovers like this nobody will be complaining!

Note - amounts are only guidelines.  If you want to add more or less of any one thing, it's really up to you!

Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. good morning my lovely Marie.I was looking for something like that for my children .This looks really a happy meal from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much My little Rose. I hope they enjoy it! xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I stopped following a recipe a long time ago, and basically just do it by feel now!

      Delete
  3. Oh, but I DO love a good pot pie! Our favorite is chicken pot pie, but a good beef pie is right up there on the list too! It does clean out the fridge of the leftover veg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrift in action Susan! I love them! And yes, they do clean out the fridge!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!