Small Batch Coffee Cake Muffins

Tuesday 12 April 2016

 photo DSCN6370_zpsfqxpnqdk.jpg

When there are only two of you in the family, making whole batches of things can mean a lot of waste unless it is something that can be easily frozen.   Recipes which make only a few of anything are really best.  Also as I am a person who has amost no willpower, its not a great thing to have large amounts of any kind of goodie in the house.  I am very weak when it comes to tasty things.


 photo DSCN6372_zpszus7dv8i.jpg

I am not very good at dusting things with sugar either . . .  I always get more in some spaces and less in others.  I don't seem to get it done very evenly.   But never mind, it all goes down the same.  I wanted to make some muffins for Tom to take on the train with him as he travels back to Weymouth tomorrow and decided Coffeecake muffins would be really tasty.

 photo DSCN6373_zpsjlt2g0pq.jpg

The recipe only makes four, so just enough for Todd and Tom to each have one today and then two for Tom to take on the train.  It's a really long journey!

  photo DSCN6374_zpsjzcy9x09.jpg

They are moist and layered with streusel . . .  in the middle and on the top.  The streusel in the middle almost turns to caramel . . .  and the streusel  on top ends up candy crunch like.   Very good.

 photo DSCN6376_zps15aa92ve.jpg

Perfect for the small family or for those who have little or  no willpower, like me  . . .

 photo DSCN6377_zpsolyxaoar.jpg


*Small Batch Coffee Cake Muffins*
Makes 4
(no more, no less)

Delicious, moist and buttery muffins with a scrumptious layer of streusel in the middle and a layer of crunchy streusel on top! 

For the Muffins:
70g of plain flour (1/3 cup +1 TBS)
185g caster sugar (1/3 cup)
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
60ml of sunflower oil (1/4 cup)
2 TBS vanilla yogurt (can also use sour cream, or plain yogurt)
1 large free range egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp lemon extract 


For the Streusel topping:
50g soft light brown sugar (1/4 cup, lightly packed)
1 TBS granulated sugar
pinch salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 /TBS plain flour
1 1/2 TBS butter melted 



 photo DSCN6380_zpshxr5gsl6.jpg

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Line 4 muffin cups with paper liners.
Measure the streusel topping ingredients into a bowl and mix and pinch together until clumpy.  Set aside.

 photo DSCN6385_zpsvyehwjyq.jpg

Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Whisk all of the wet ingredients together and then add all at once to the dry ingredients, just to combine.  Spoon 1 heaped TBS of the batter into each of the 4 muffin cups.  Top with half of the streusel and then the remaining batter.  Sprinkle the remaining streusel on top.

 photo DSCN6386_zpskzrhaj99.jpg

Bake for  20 to 25 minutes until well risen and golden brown.  A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean.

 photo DSCN6387_zpsrxmvmrix.jpg

Bon Appetit!


6 comments

  1. On my to make list soon Marie..I have been keeping a huge batch..and we bake 6 at a time 3 days..bran ones..but these would be a different treat and I love the small batch for a change..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a good bran muffin Monique, but these are really nice once in a while, and where it only makes a few that's a real bonus! xo

      Delete
  2. These were huge and VERY delicious! I think you can easily make 5 out of the batter instead of 4 but I must say I enjoyed the full big muffin I had very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would say they are Bakery Style Ijeoma! Glad that you enjoyed them! xo

      Delete
  3. We had these today for afternoon tea and loved them. That strusel mix is the magic ingredient for sure! My muffin papers must be smaller than those in the UK because I got 6 decent sized muffins, so enough for us for three days.

    I'm like you in that if there are goodies in the house, I'm tempted to scoff the lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy they were enjoyed Marie! They are almost dangerous! I could eat the whole lot myself, but I do share. xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!