Egg Roll Stir Fry

Wednesday 8 June 2016

 photo DSCN7360_zps9wsggphv.jpg

This is a quick and simple dish I have been wanting to make for quite some time now.  I originally saw it on Pinterest, attributed to a blog called South In Your Mouth, who got it from someone else, who got it from someone else and so on and so on.  You know how it goes.   I adapted it to our own tastes and we were both very happy with the end result!  This is the perfect quick and simple supper for those nights when you just can't be asked to cook!

  photo DSCN7361_zpsintsyzvv.jpg

In fact I am betting you have everything you need in the kitchen to make this for supper tonight!  Ground beef.  Check!  Cabbage.  Check!  Onions.  Check!  Carrots.  Check!

 photo DSCN7365_zps90rhrqo2.jpg

Other than that all you need is a few bits such as garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and I added some kejap manis to mine and hoisin, because I like those things.  If you don't have fresh ginger or garlic, just use the powdered or granules.  I wouldn't use the salts however, because soy is already quite salty.

 photo DSCN7366_zpsw4sgiagc.jpg

Ketjap manis is a thick, sweet, rich, syrupy Indonesian version of soy sauce containing sugar and spices. But no worries if you haven't got it. The original recipe didn't use it. We just happen to like the flavour it adds. You could also have a go making your own.  I found what looks to be an excellent recipe here.  In fact I am getting  low on mine, so I am going to probably make some of this myself over the next few days.   You will find that it is useful for many things.

 photo DSCN7367_zps6wrson9x.jpg

In any case this is an excellent recipe for a delicious, quick and easy supper.  I just added some rice on the side for a full meal.  (You can buy it already cooked here, in pouches.  One pouch is just the right size for the both of us to share.)

 photo DSCN7368_zpszamxh9ug.jpg

Now I know you are probably asking yourself . . .  yes, but did it taste like an egg roll?  Do you want to short answer or the long answer?   YES!  yes, yes, yes.  It did.  And it was delicious.  All of the flavour without any of the carbs from the wrapping or the fat from deep frying.  For a diabetic, this was win/win.

  photo DSCN7369_zpstdh1xypb.jpg

Todd really loved this.  I did too.

 photo DSCN7370_zpsd3acszwr.jpg


*Egg Roll Stir Fry*
Serves 4
Simple, quick and delicious.  I served this with some steamed rice and it went down a real treat.  Adapted from a recipe I found on South in Your Mouth.


1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 large cooking onion, peeled and diced
1 small head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and  minced
1 TBS grated fresh ginger root
1 TBS kejap manis (a thick sweet soy sauce)
1 TBS hoisin sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 TBS toasted sesame oil
1 TBS vegetable oil
60ml dark soy sauce (1/4 cup)


Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet until it is cooked through, and beginning to brown.  (I used a bit of oil because I used extra lean)  Add the shredded cabbage and chopped carrots.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until they are just beginning to soften.

Whisk together the garlic, ginger, pepper, sesame oil, vegetable oil, kejap manis, hoisin and black pepper to combine well.  Pour this over the  mixture in the skillet, tossing all together to coat.  Reduce to a medium low and cookin stirring occasionally until the cabbage is tender to your preference, five to ten minutes depending on what you like.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
Serve hot.

 photo DSCN7372_zpspc4tzodf.jpg

Bon Appetit!


6 comments

  1. This is a delicious dish. I tried the original recipe when you posted the link a couple of months ago and we thought it was terrific. Your additions make it even tastier (I'll be adding those changes to my recipe file). It's a great way to use cabbage when it's at a good price and you'd never know it was a "budget meal".

    My mum made something similar when I was a kid and she called it "Chop Suey", though she didn't use soya sauce as we didn't have that back then. Instead she would flavour it with a packet of Chicken Noodle Soup and sometimes bulk it out with a packet of frozen veggies. We loved it and thought it was very exotic and quite Chinese :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy that I finally got around to making it Marie! I love chop suey! We didn't have Chinese ingredients when I was girl either. Just the name was exotic enough! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I think I was well into my 20s before I ate real Chinese food.

      And you'd laugh at my mother's attempt with spaghetti. She had no idea what to do with it, but one of her cousins was going out with an Italian man and she wanted to make him feel welcome, so she cooked the spaghetti, which she served on the plate in a little pile along with the roast lamb, spuds, carrots, peas, mint sauce and gravy. I still laugh thinking about that.

      And speaking of Chinese food, you also posted a link for a Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. You HAVE to make it - we just loved it (served with your delicious Garlic Fried Rice) and I'm sure you'll like it too. The baking makes it such an easy dish as well.

      Delete
    3. Haha, you made me laugh out loud Marie! You really did. My mother's "Eye-talian" spaghetti came from a tin of Catelli spaghetti sauce, poured over a pound of browned beef mince. I preferred it without the meat and so a TBS of sauce was always saved aside for me. Moms, what would we do without them! I will have to look up that Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe and make it now! You have tantalised my taste buds by reminding me! xo

      Delete
  2. This is like Moo Shu "pick your meat or go vegetarian"....but instead ground meat and the thick soy sauce added for extra ummph..I am going to make this for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!