Turkey Hot Browns

Thursday 30 June 2016

 photo DSCN7861_zpstmnrcfqa.jpg

These sandwiches make for a nice light and healthy supper when it gets too hot to cook, or when you are starving at the end of the day and can't be asked to cook.  Not only are they quick and easy to make, but they are diabetic friendly also!

  photo DSCN7862_zpsrng5lout.jpg

I adapted the recipe from one which I found on the Mr. Food Everyday Diabetic Recipes site.  It is low in fat and calories and is really quick and simple to make.

 photo DSCN7863_zpszcwqh2lf.jpg

I didn't have exactly the same ingredients that were called for on the Mr Food page, so I subbed the best that I could.   I used a Polish Rye and Sunflower Seed bread, which is really good. Dense and filled with flavour and lovely sunflower seeds.  It was perfect!

 photo DSCN7864_zpsnqizgzo1.jpg

I also couldn't get the thinly sliced turkey breast meat, at least not at a price I wanted to pay, but I got some roasted turkey pieces which were the equivalent weight and were a nice thickness, so I went with them.  (They were also on for only £1 a pack, so two packs did the job!)

 photo DSCN7865_zpsg760bgpl.jpg

I opted for the Kerry Low Low mix of mozzarella and red medium cheddar, which is low in fat and it worked very well, and I totally forgot the bacon bits. We didn't miss them.

 photo DSCN7869_zpsc5zqjpbt.jpg

I served them on a bed of baby rocket leaves for extra colour, flavour and a few more vitamins and they were absolutely delicious!   I can see me putting these on my week's rotation over the summer months.  Enjoy!

 photo DSCN7866_zpshdibzcoi.jpg


*Turkey Hot Browns*
Serves 4

Delicious open faced sandwiches which are low in fat and diabetic friendly, and yes, delicious!  Grab your knife and fork!   

4 slices of whole wheat bread toasted
(I used Polish rye and sunflower seed bread)
4 tsp low fat garlic herb and cheese spread
1/2 pound sliced deli turkey breast
1 fresh tomato, sliced thinly
8 TBS low fat cheddar/mozzarella mix grated cheese
(I used the kerry low low) 

To serve:
several handfuls of baby rocket leaves
(baby arugula) 

Preheat the grill or broiler to high.  Place the toasted bread onto a baking sheet. Spread each slice with 1 tsp of the low fat garlic herb and cheese spread. Place the Tomato slices on top of the cheese spread.  Top with the turkey , dividing it equally amongst the slices.  Top each with 2 TBS cheese.    

Place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is melted.   Place a small handful of rocket leaves on each of four plates.  Place one toasted sandwich on top of each and serve immediately.

 photo DSCN7870_zpsuli4oxjr.jpg

Bon Appetit!

2 comments

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!