Bacon BBQ Chicken

Wednesday 18 January 2017


I hesitate to post this as  a recipe, but it is just so darned simple and just so delicious that I cannot resist sharing it with you. 



This is another one of those things I saw in the shops (and asking a pretty good price for it) and I thought I can do this at home and a lot better. 


In the shops it is basically just a chicken breast with a piece of bacon thrown on top along with some cheese and a packet of BBQ sauce to squirt over it just before it is finished.  They call it Hunter's Chicken.  Why, I have no idea.


I have improved upon this both in method and ingredients.  First I have broken the cooking time down into three segments.   First  chicken breasts are seasoned all over and roasted for about 10 minutes, good side down  . . . 


You then take them out and flip them over so that the good side is up and top each one with a slice of bacon which has been cut in half crosswise so you have two slices on top of each piece of chicken. It goes back into the oven for another 10 minutes. The bacon has an opportunity to crisp up a bit this way  . . .  so no soggy bacon.


Then I mixed cranberry sauce with some BBQ sauce, first of all because I had some leftover from the holidays and secondly because I thought it would be a nice mixture.   I slathered this mixture over the partially baked chicken/bacon and slammed it back into the oven for a further 10 minutes of baking. 



Your chicken should pretty much be cooked through at this point.  I took it out of the oven again and then sprinkled some cheese over top.  I used a strong white cheddar because we like the flavour, but a nutty emmenthal (Swiss) would also go very well!  This is delicious and so, so, so simple!   quantities are for two but this can easily be multiplied to feed any multitude of peoples.


*Bacon BBQ Chicken*
Serves 2

This is simple and delicious.  I have given the quantities for two but as you can see it can easily be multiplied to serve more. 

2 single boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
salt, pepper and garlic powder
2 slices of dry cure streaky bacon
4 TBS BBQ sauce
2 TBS leftover cranberry sauce
4 TBS grated cheddar cheese



 Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Dust your chicken fillets lightly with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Place them into a baking dish, top side down.   Roast them for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.  Remove from the oven and flip them over until the top side of the chicken breast is uppermost.  Cut each slice of bacon in half crosswise and place them side by side on top of the chicken.  Return to the oven and cook for another 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven.  Whisk together the cranberry sauce and BBQ sauce.  Spoon this over top of the chicken and bacon.  Return to the oven for another 10 minutes.  Sprinkle the cheese over top of all and bake for a further 5 minutes.   The chicken is done when the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.  It should be done by now, but if it isn't cook it for another 5 minutes.  Serve hot.



This is such a delicious and a simple dish to make.  My oldest daughter is learning challenged and I described how to make it to her over the FB Messaging and she went home and made it for her and her husband and they loved it   I hope you will give it a go.  I think you will love it too!  In fact I think this is destined to become a bit of a favourite!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. I know 4 boys that would love this! Chicken..bacon..cheese and BBQ sauce..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And its so simple to make Monique! Its win/win all round! xo

      Delete
  2. Dear Marie,

    My wife came home early after a lady's week at the beach, when the weather suddenly became cold and wet. I needed a quick dinner idea and remembered that you had said this was easy and delicious. Luckily, I had all the necessary components on site and whipped this up very quickly. As always, you were right! It was a delicious meal that we both enjoyed.

    I have again gratefully contributed to your butter/sugar/travel fund and I encourage others to do the same. Nothing in life is free (and that includes great cooking lessons and ideas).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks once again William! I am so pleased that you and your wife have enjoyed this recipe. I really need to redo it and take some better photographs. I don't think the ones here, taken quite some time ago, really do the recipe justice! I am grateful that you were able to look past that and took a chance cooking it. Thank you so much!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!