Chicken Con Queso Bake

Wednesday 11 January 2017


 This was something which I made late last week and was it ever good.   I adapted it from a recipe I found on the Betty Crocker Site.  


It looked really tasty and like something we would both enjoy.  I didn't have all of the ingredients however and wasn't even sure what salsa con queso was, never having seen it myself.



I am the Queen of improvisation however and I went to the grocery shop in an attempt to find something I could use instead.  

The closest thing I could find was Taquito's Mexican Cheese Dip. 
 


I decided to mix it half and half with regular Taquitos Salsa.  It looked about right to me.  Although I can't really say for sure as I have never had Con queso.




The recipe also called for a tin of chopped roasted green chilies.  I used one fresh jalapeno, trimmed, seeded and chopped.  


Trust me when I say that it was just enough.  This was a spicy dish and any more jalapeno than that would have blown our socks off.


I used a smaller amount of cream/half and half because I didn't want it to be too runny.  It turned out really nice.  Spicy and nice.     


I had mine with some sour cream to cool it down a bit, but my husband ate his full on strength and went back for seconds.  He is made of sterner stuff than I am.  The sour cream made mine just right for me.



 
*Chicken Con Queso Bake*
Serves 6

No doubt about it.  This is delicious.  You can also use turkey breast steaks instead of chicken if you wish.  A real family pleaser. 

3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 3 large turkey breast steaks)
(cut the chicken in half lengthwise and the turkey in half crosswise)
1 package of taco seasoning mix
1/2 of a 300g jar Mexican cheese dip (1/2 of a 14 ounce jar)
1/2 jof a 300g jar tomato salsa dip (1/2 of a 14 ounce jar)
120ml single cream (1/2 cup ha;f and half)
1 green jalapeno pepper, trimmed, seeded and chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, trimmed, seeded and chopped
400g cooked rice (2 1/2 cups cooked rice)
120g of four cheese blend (1 cup)
chopped tomatoes and fresh coriander to garnish (optional)



 Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  

Prepare your chicken/turkey.  Cut as required and then sprinkle the poultry with the taco seasoning mix, patting it into the meat on both sides.
 

Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.  Add the poultry and brown it on both sides until golden.  It will not be cooked through.  Set aside.



Mix together the cream,  cheese dip and salsa dip in a bowl.  Stir in the jalapeno and red pepper.  Remove one fourth and reserve.   Stir th cooked rice into the remainder.   Pour into the prepared baking dish.   Lay the browned chicken/turkey cutlets on top.  Pour the reserved cream/cheese/salsa mixture over all.  Sprinkle with the grated cheese.  Cover the casserole dish tightly with a sheet of buttered/sprayed foil, sprayed side down. 


Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove the foil and discard.  Bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicke/turkey is cooked through and the sauce bubbles.   Cool for 10 minutes then garnish as desired and serve. 
 


This was a really tasty family pleasing one dish dinner.  True confessions, I didn't have chicken and used turkey steaks cut in half instead and it worked very well.   If you are fond of tex mex flavours and don't mind a bit of heat this is sure to please!  All you would need is a salad on the side and dinner is served!  Bon Appetit! 

All of the content you see here on this page, both photography and written, are the sole property of The English Kitchen, Marie Rayner. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 


7 comments

  1. Your ingredient substitution for salsa con queso was spot on. Con means 'with'; queso means 'cheese'. Salsa con queso is salsa with cheese. Something we really like here in our parts...just north of the Mexican border. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I came pretty close to the original Kath! You are lucky to live in a place where Mexican ingredients are so available! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. It was absolutely gorgeous! xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is Monique, but if I make it again I am going to leave out the green chili. Todd didn't mind but I found it quite hot. xo

      Delete
  4. We had this for dinner tonight. I used chicken and thanks to your improvised tips, I had all ingredients. I really liked the green chili in it, but then we do like a little heat as well.

    It was very easy to put together and with a green salad on the side, it made a delicious dinner - a lovely splash of heat and colour on this bleak, wintery day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!