Lemon Curd Muffins

Sunday 29 January 2017


I think one of my very most favourite ingredients to work with has to be lemon curd.  Well, actually one of my very favourite things to eat is Lemon Curd.  I could eat it right out of the jar with a spoon.  Yes . . .  I am a glutton!




This means that I always have a jar or two or three in my cupboard of ready made curd.  English Provender make a really good one.   I also am prone to make my own, especially in the Winter when lemons are at their cheapest, coming to us from Spain over here in the UK.


I have always wondered what it must be like to be able to just walk out of your door and pick lemons from off of a tree.  That must be amazing.  What do lemon blossoms smell like?  I am sure they smell gorgeous.  


I made some lemon curd earlier this week and took the opportunity to make these delicious Lemon Curd Muffins with some of it.  My recipe makes rather a lot and it doesn't keep a really long time in the refrigerator, so I usually give a jar of it away and then eat my fill . . .  yes with a spoon, on toast, etc. and in delicious recipes such as this one.


I confess . . .  its really not much of a chore . . .


More of a pleasure really . . .


You will want to use a good quality of lemon curd for these, or better yet make your own! Homemade lemon curd . . . so easy to do and so much better than any you can buy.

Lemon Curd Muffins. It's a good thing!


*Lemon Curd Muffins*
Makes 9 medium muffins
Printable Recipe

You want to use a good quality lemon curd in these delicious muffins. It will give a more defined lemony flavour. Fabulous eaten warm.

200g (1 1/2 cup) self raising flour
100g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
1 large free range egg
3 fluid ounces sunflower oil (generous 1/3 cup)
5 fluid ounces of milk (generous 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla
lemon curd

For the topping:
couple TBS caster sugar
lemon curd

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/Gar mark 5. Line 9 medium muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.

Sift the flour into a bowl and whisk in the sugar. Beat the egg, sunfower oil, milk and vanilla together in a beaker. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients all at once. Stir gently together with a fork, just until combined. Spoon a heaped dessertspoon ful of the batter into each of the prepared muffin cups. Top each with 1 tsp of lemon curd. Top with the rest of the muffin mixture.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until well risen, firm to the touch, and lightly browned. Remove from the oven. Brush the tops of the hot muffins with some more lemon curd and sprinkle with some caster sugar. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Eat warm for a real treat!

You can find a darn good recipe for lemon curd here! Yes, it's mine and I happen to think it's the best. It's very easy to make and quite, quite delicious!!

Note . . .  an extra dab of lemon curd spread on the halves of a split muffin is quite a good idea also.  Especially if you are a lemon curd nut like me!  Bon Appetit!

7 comments

  1. I am also a lemon curd nut (well, a lemon anything nut if the truth be known). They only sell Robertson's here, so I prefer home made. I have some in the fridge because I made a pavlova for Australia Day and had egg yolks to spare. I think this will be our afternoon tea today. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love these Marie! They are amazing. I love Pavlova! Yum! Happy belated Australia Day greetings! xo

      Delete
    2. We did love them! Absolutely delicious and I think they will appear regularly from now onwards.

      I love pavlova as well. I do sometimes use lemon curd on it - I top the base with whipped cream then drizzle over the freshly made lemon curd and top with mixed berries. Blueberries and raspberries are especially nice.

      Though, don't you hate it when you eat pavlova for breakfast by mistake? Three days in a row? Ha, ha!

      Delete
  2. I would love to walk out and pick lemons..A friend at one time once sent me california lemons for her gardens..mine looked like apricots beside hers..and in Italy,even bigger.
    I love lemon too..these look fabulous Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine Monique. Oh to have a lemon tree. I am always reminded of that song by Harry Belafonte, Lemon Tree. Oh, I do love lemons! xo

      Delete
  3. These sound delicious! I am definitely going to make them! Maybe today! I have a jar of lemon curd that I ordered and bought from Tiptree, England. It is delicious but I think I'll give your recipe a try as well. I live in Arizona, USA and grew up one mile from citrus groves that went on for miles along with the 'Japanese Flower Gardens' that went for miles as well. Oh my, I could smell the citrus blossoms from my house! So incredibly fragrant. I have a navel orange tree in my backyard that gives me wonderful oranges; only a few remaining. I think I'll go pick one! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Yellow Grandma! How lucky you are to be so close to growing citrus! It must smell amazing! I love the Tiptree jams! They are fabulous! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!