Mac and Cheese Pie

Wednesday 4 January 2017


This is a great dish to make on those nights when you are wanting to make something quick and easy but something that the family will still enjoy.   Macaroni and Cheese is a popular dish with most people, but when its also a pie, that's a win/win!
 
Mac and Cheese pie fits the bill on all counts!



 Plus it is done in one dish, the mixing the baking, etc.   You don't have to cook the macaroni first.  
 
Like magic it cooks in the casserole dish along with everything else.


I use my homemade baking mix for this.   I always have it in the cupboard.  You can find the recipe for that here.   Or you can just buy it ready made.   

 

You could use Bisquick or Teabisk.  I just use my own homemade one though.



Once it is baked it cuts easily into squares (if you have baked it in a square dish) or wedges if you have baked it in a pie dish. 

Just look at how tasty that looks.  Pass me my fork!


All you need on the side is some veg or a salad.  I like to serve it with meatloaf, or hot dogs.  You could also serve it with fish fingers or chicken nuggets, fingers, etc. 
 
 Kids love this.  Grownups do too.   Its really, really good.



*Mac and Cheese Pie*
Serves 6
Sort of like a crustless quiche made from macaroni and cheese. This is simple to make, quick and delicious.  I use my own homemade baking mix but you can certainly use a store branch such as Bisquick or another brand. 

245g of grated strong cheddar cheese (2 cups)
15g macaroni, uncooked (1 cup)
70g baking mix (1/2 cup)
530ml milk (2 1/4 cups)
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
4 large free range eggs
salt and pepper to taste
30g additional grated cheddar cheese (1/4 cup)




Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Buter a 10 inch pie dish or an 8 inch square baking dish, or six custard cups. 


Mix the first amount of cheese with the macaroni.  Spread out in the prepared baking dish.    Combine the milk, tabasco sauce, eggs, baking mix and seasoning until well blended.  Pour over the macaroni in the dish.


Bake, uncovered for about 40 minutes.  A knife inserted near the centre should come out clean.   Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for an additional several minutes until the cheese melts.  Let stand for 10 minutes before cuting ito squares or wedges to  serve.



This makes the perfect weeknight supper.  Your family will love it.    Bon appetit! 


This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin


8 comments

  1. Does this really call for 12 cups of cheddar cheese? I'm guessing a typo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a typo Rccola. I have fixed. Thank you so much for pointing it out! Whew! xo

      Delete
  2. I make typos..some are xrated and I thsnk my stars I found the typo before sending;)

    Looks hearty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite delicious for being so simple Monique, almost like a macaroni cheese quiche without a crust! I usually make typos when I am using my phone. I have fingers like hams! xo

      Delete
  3. Is the baking mix combined with the cheese and macaroni or with the liquids??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Paulette, the baking mix gets combined with the milk and eggs. I hope you will try it! xo

      Delete
  4. Hi Marie this looks really nice ,but what is baking mix ,and how can you make it ,thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT is like Bisquick ! Here is the link to my recipe: https://sites.google.com/site/oakcottagerecipes/homemade-baking-mix

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!