Buttermilk Biscuits

Friday 3 March 2017

 photo DSCN1123_zpsisbo8xzl.jpg

I am a lover of quick breads  . . .  scones, tea loaves, baking powder biscuits, muffins, corn bread, etc.  I just love them.  One of the reasons I love them is because they are quick to put together and they freeze really well.   If you are making a pot of soup, it really isn't much extra work to put together a savoury muffin or quick bread to go along with it, and they realy turn a simple meal into something very special.

 photo DSCN1124_zpspc1ixdyy.jpg

I pinned this recipe for buttermilk biscuits on Pinterest a number of weeks back and I finally got around to baking them late last week.   I was really pleased with the way they turned out . . .  so much so that I have baked them twice since I baked them the first time.   Everyone just loves them.  I adapted them from a recipe I found on  a blog called the Baker Upstairs and they are utterly gorgeous.

 photo DSCN1125_zpsv8b8spj4.jpg

Even the day after . . .  in fact two days later they are still quite moreish.  We just can't get enough of them and they are so quick and easy to make.

 photo DSCN1127_zpstplhhzt8.jpg

They are light and fluffy and they really do raise quite high . . .  not quite a mile high . . .  but quite tall at any rate.   They're so good on their own, split and spread with a bit of butter  . . .

  photo DSCN1128_zpspghstnxc.jpg

Or with a bit of honey or a bit of cheese  . . . jam . . . peanut butter.   Mmmm . . . mmmm . . . good.  I dare say that buttermilk will be a staple in my refrigerator from now on!  (Did you know you can buy it by the litre from Ocado?  You can!  I only just discovered that myself a few weeks back!  It's great!)

 photo DSCN1130_zpsflulrhqh.jpg


*Mile High Buttermilk Biscuits*
Makes 12

These are the lightest fluffiest buttermilk biscuits you could ever bake or eat.   So good that I have baked them twice in the last few days! 

280g of plain flour (2 cups) sifted
1 TBS sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
125g of cold butter, cut into bits (1/2 cup)
180ml of buttermilk (3/4 cup)



 photo DSCN1131_zpsrpikikn1.jpg 

Preheat the oven to 225*C/450*F/ gas mark 7.  Line a baking tray with baking paper.

 photo DSCN1129_zpseoega8lb.jpg


Sift the flour into a bowl.  Whisk in the sugar, salt  and baking powder.  Drop in the butter. Cut it into the dry ingredients using two round bladed knives or a pastry blender.  You want pieces no larger than the size of dry peas.  Some that size and some smaller.  Stir in the buttermilk with a fork to mix to a soft dough.   Tip out onto a lightly floured board.  Knead gently a couple of times.  Pat out to a six by nine inch rectangle.  Visually divide into threes and fold the outer thirds in over the middle third like a book.  Pat out again to a six by nine inch rectangle, about 1/2 inch in thickness.  Cut into rounds with a sharp 2 1/2 inch round cutter, using a sharp up and down tap.  Place several inches apart on the baking sheet.

 photo DSCN11231_zpsmq134zex.jpg


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown and well risen.  Serve warm.

I just know you are going to really enjoy these!  But don't take my word for it. Bake them for yourself and see if I am right!  Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. How can I move this to my Pinterest board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a pin it button in the upper left hand corner of every photo Angharad! Hope this hels! xo

      Delete
  2. Disappointed, not a biscuit recipe more a scone or cobbler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what you did wrong, but as you can see from my photos, mine are clearly biscuits and delicious ones at that!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!