Chunky Puy Lentil & Vegetable Soup

Monday 20 March 2017


  Puy lentils, grown in France are just wonderful in soups. They thicken without turning to sludge. They don't break down like other lentils and keep their lovely little shape, giving any soup which is made with them a bit of a bite, a very delicious bite!



 
I love them in this soup, where they are a beautiful contrast against the soft, buttery vegetables. The oregano adds a heady tang which also adds some taste pleasure to the mix.



 Todd usually only likes his soups pureed . . . I like a bit of texture in my soups. This soup pleases on both levels because you do get that pureed texture from the meltingly tender vegetables and a lovely bit of texture from the lentils.


 
It makes a lovely, filling, bone warming and hearty lunch for cooler days . . .  Spring is here, but we are still swinging back and forth temperature wise . . .



 
 *Chunky Puy Lentil and Vegetable Soup*
Serves 4 to 6
 

Delicious, warming and filling.  Perfect comfort food!


2 TBS butter
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
400g tin of chopped plum tomatoes plus juice (2 cups)
200g Puy lentils (approximately 1 cup)
1 litre vegetable stock (about 4 1/4 cups)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese to serve
crusty bread, toasted and butter, to serve


Melt the butter in a large heavy bottomed saucepan.  Add the carrots, leeks, onion and garlic, stirring to coat with the butter.  Add a healthy pinch of salt, cover and allow to cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.  


Add the chilli flakes, oregano, lentils and stock.  Cover and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or so, until the lentils are cooked.  Taste and adjust seasoning if required.  Ladle into heated bowls.  Serve with buttered toast on the side, and grated cheese on top. 


 

Soup . . . the ultimate comfort food. Really. I like to think that when I choose a bowl of soup . . . I am making a healthy choice.  Bon Appetite!

6 comments

  1. HaHaHa! Spring is here? Then why was I shoveling the walk way just last wk for 2 hrs? Sorry Marie, I'm just whining. The only good thing is my ignorant neighbor can't park on my lawn bc of all the snow! Ask them to move it and both apartments shut their lights off within 5 mins. So I called the cops, but next time it will be the tow truck that I call! His big truck left tracks on my lawn! Ok, I'm done b-ing! Lol. I hope you two (three) have a great.day! Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically today is the first day of spring Jan, but I agree, it feels more like Winter! You have a great day too! This soup will warm you up! xo

      Delete
  2. Marie, I made this soup last week and I can honestly say it was one of the most DELICIOUS soups I've ever eaten, the family agreed and we eat A LOT of soup! I often make soup with red lentils, never even considered using the green ones but WOW! a revelation. I can't quite understand what makes such basic ingredients turn into this marvelous soup - but it possibly is the contrast in textures. wil be making this again and again! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, that makes me really happy! So,glad that this as enjoyed! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!