Date, Pistachio & Honey Slices

Saturday 18 March 2017


As you know I've  been working really hard on my cookbook. There hasn't been a lot of cooking going on these past few days as I am down to the crunch.  I hope you will forgive me for re-posting these lovely slices from a few years ago.  They are delicious, so I am sure you won't!  


I think I am going to have to re-post a lot of my earlier posts anyways as all of my photos have always been stored on Photo-bucket and blogger doesn't seem to like them anymore, so I am having to redownload the ones that I can and them just upload them to blogger directly from my desktop.  Its a big pain in the arse, but what can you do.  (And yes, I just said arse!)



These are delicious little buttery finger cookies . . .  almost pastry-like . . . 


Filled with a fabulous date, pistachio and honey filling  . . . 


Not at all uncomfortable being served along side a nice hot beverage . . .  tea, coffee, herbal infusions.  Whatever hot drink you enjoy.  Actually they're awfully darned delicious with a glass of milk as well!




*Date, Pistachio & Honey Slices*
Makes 12 slices
Printable Recipe

Lovely buttery fingers filled with scrummy dates, honey and crunchy pistachio nuts. Oh-so-moreishly delish!

For the filling:
250g of stoned dates (a generous 1/2 pound), chopped
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS water
3 ounces pistachio nuts, chopped (a generous half cup)
1 TBS clear honey

For the pastry:
8 ounces plain flour (a scant 2 cups)
1 ounce caster sugar (about 2 TBS)
5 1/2 ounces butter (1/2 cup plus 3 TBS)
4 to 5 TBS cold water

To finish:
milk to glaze
1 TBS clear honey

Place the dates, lemon juice, and water into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chopped nuts and honey. Set aside to cool.

Place the flour, sugar and butter into a food processor. Pulse until you have fine crumbs. Mix in just enough water to give you a soft dough. You don't want it to be sticky. Roll out half of the pastry on a lightly floured board to a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Place on a baking sheet. Spread the date/nut mixture on top of this to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Roll out the remaining half of the pastry to fit and place on top. Press to seal the edges all the way around. Trim the edges square and then brush with some milk to glaze. Mark into 12 slices.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Bake the slice for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Brush the warm slice with the remaining honey and then remove to cool on a wire rack. Cut into 12 individual slices along the marks you made previously. Store in an airtight container and serve as a nice treat with your cuppa or pack into lunch boxes. Always scrummily welcome!



I hope you will give these a go.  I promise you that you won't be sorry!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. I would love theses Marie..!:)LOL arse.I have said worse.Times are changing;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not always for the better either dear friend! I hope you make these! xoxo

      Delete
  2. These look outstanding, Marie. Definitely going to print this recipe out.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!