Peach, Vanilla and Poppyseed Scones

Thursday 4 May 2017


I just love scones and am always thinking of different ways I can make them.  My husband doesn't mind as he gets to enjoy the fruits of my labors.  Today it was Peach, Vanilla and Poppyseed scones and let me tell you they are every bit as delicious as the name implies!



Originally I created them to use fresh peaches, the ones which you get at the shops that are a bit too hard to each out of hand.  They are perfect for things like this or for this Green Peach Salad.  (which is beautiful, trust me on this!)


The nice thing about these is that you can also use tinned peaches if that is all you have.  Just be sure to pat them really dry first with some paper kitchen toweling.


That is what I used today because that is all I had.  They work beautifully.  I add them in with the poppyseeds, tossing them in with a fork.


You get the buttery crisp scone, moreishly flaky  . . .  tender sweet pieces of peach . . .  crunchy poppyseeds, infused with vanilla . . . 


I like to brush them with some cream and sprinkle them with Demerara Sugar prior to baking for some added interest, texture and flavour.


Spread with some clotted cream and apricot jam, these always go down a real treat.  Break out the tea-pots and cups!  A nice hot herbal infusion goes very well.  I like Earl Grey Rooibos.  Together they are just lovely.


*Peach, Vanilla & Poppyseed Scones*
Makes 10
If you need to you can also use drained tinned peaches in the place of fresh ones.  Just dry them really well with paper kitchen towelling before chopping.  These are delicious! 

500g plain flour (3 1/2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
100g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
125g butter, cubed (1/2 cup)
3 small fresh peached, chopped coarsely
1 tsp poppyseeds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium free range egg, beaten
100ml whole milk (7 TBS)
Cream to brush on the tops
demerara sugar to sprinkle on the tops



 Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Line a baking tray with baking parchment.  Set aside. 



Sift the flour into a bowl along with the sugar and baking powder.  Drop in the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.  Stir in the chopped peaches and the poppyseeds. Whisk together the vanilla, egg and milk.  Add to the dry mixture to make a soft dough.  Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Pat out about 1 1/2 inch thick.  Stamp out into rounds with a very sharp 3 inch round cutter.  Place onto the baking sheet.  Push any trimmings together and re-pat out to stamp out more rounds if necessary and also place on the baking sheet.  Brush tops lightly with cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
 


  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.  Serve slightly warm with clotted cream and apricot jam.  Fabulous!


I really hope you will give these a go.  I am positive you will fall in love with them!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. They of course look great..sent you an email re font etc..hpe u got it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it Monique, thanks! My day just got away from me yesterday. I hate it when that happens. xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a delightful combination of flavours. These scones look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!