Pineapple Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Wednesday 17 May 2017

Pineapple Sweet and Sour Meatballs

These delicious sweet and sour meatballs are just the ticket for a day when you are super busy and don't have a lot of time to spend on cooking.  In short, perfect for a mid of the week meal.  

I always keep ready made meatballs in my freezer.  Not store bought ready made, but my own homemade ready made.  This is the recipe I use here. It makes a lot, but these are really handy to have in the freezer ready to use when you need them.


I confess, I have also used ready made Swedish Meatballs in this recipe in the past and it has worked beautifully.  

The only kind of ready made meat ball I would not use would be Italian ones as the ingredients in Italian meatballs would jar somewhat with the flavours of the sweet and sour sauce.



In a pinch you can also use cubed ham, or Spam.  Yes, I did say that word.  Spam. We happen to like Spam.  

I have also used sausage meat, which I have removed from the skins, rolled into balls and browned.  Let me just say, they are superdy duperdy good.


But do try making your own bulk meatballs and keeping them in the freezer for just such a day as this.  

You will find they are really a great ingredient to have on hand.


This sauce is fabulous. Not too sweet. Not too sour.  

With the perfect balance of both, and plenty of crunch from the carrots, colour from the peppers, and then there is that sweetness from the pineapple. We love pineapple.   

Well, altogether we love these meatballs!  There you have it!


*Pineapple Sweet & Sour Meatballs*
Serves 6
Simple to make and delicious.  A real family favourite.  A bit of a cheat in that you use ready made meatballs, but sometimes one must needs do what one needs do! 

100g soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup, packed)
120ml rice wine vinegar (1/2 cup)
65g tomato sauce (1/4 cup tomato ketchup)
1 TBS soy sauce
590ml pineapple juice (2 1/4 cups)
1 TBS corn flour (cornstarch)
1 (435g) (14 ounce)  tin of pineapple chunks, drained (reserve juice for above)
1/2 TBS olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
25 ready made meatballs 


To serve:
steamed rice

Preheat the oven to 190*C/365*F/ gas mark 5. Place the meatballs and pineapple chunks into a large casserole dish which has a lid for covering. 

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Add the onion, carrot and red pepper.  Cook, stirring, until they have softened. 


Whisk 2 TBS of the pineapple juice together with the corn flour to make a paste.  Set aside. Whisk the brown sugar, vinegar, tomato sauce, soy sauce and remaining pineapple juice together and pour over the vegetables.  Bring to the boil.  Whisk in the pineapple/corn flour mix, stirring constantly.  Cook until bubbling and thickened.  Pour this over the meatballs and pineapple in the casserole dish. Cover tightly. 

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until well heated through and nicely thickened.  Serve hot with some steamed rice.



In the summer months, you can also simmer the meatballs in the sauce in a pan on top of the stove. You won't get that nice golden colour on the meatballs, but what the heck, they are still delicious irregardless of the colour. I hope you will give them a go!  Bon Appetit! 

Pineapple Sweet and Sour Meatballs 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

8 comments

  1. No Spam:( Love Asianish dishes..Jacques ate Spam as a child..we never did..I can't even look at it lol:)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had Spam as a child. I thought Yuck! But as an adult, I have come to like it! Weird! xo

      Delete
  2. Once again Marie to the rescue. I'm having the family over for the Victoria Day weekend, planning on making a batch of meatballs. Been pondering what sauce to use, now I know! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how that goes Mam! I really hope that you all enjoy them! xo

      Delete
  3. The grandkids were down for an unexpected visit today and this was perfect for lunch. I always have a stash of homemade Swedish Meatballs in the freezer, so it was quick to put together and greatly enjoyed by everyone. The sauce was very well balanced and everything tasted so very good together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that does make me happy Marie! Th is so much for always taking the time to let us know! Xo

      Delete
  4. Just made it. It turned out great. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased it was made and enjoyed! Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!