Spinach and Gruyere Tart

Wednesday 3 May 2017



I just adore spinach.  If you had told me this would be so when I was a little girl, but I would never have believed you, but its true. I do love spinach.  I think my hatred of it as a child largely had something to do with the fact that my mother tried to feed us tinned spinach, which was YUCK YUCK YUCK.  There is just no comparison to the fresh spinach we have available for our use today and the tinned spinach from way back when . . .  fresh is definilately better on ALL levels!


I love it in salads . . .  crisp green baby spinach leaves . . .  with its earthy mineral-like flavour.  It is especially good with roasted chicken, toasted nuts, dried cranberries or fresh blueberries, some goats cheese and a fruity balsamic dressing.


I love it sauteed lightly with garlic, butter and salt and pepper.  It does not take long to cook at all, and garlic goes very well with it.


It's great in omelets and frittatas, risottos, etc, but my favourite way to use it has to be this simple and easy Spinach and Guyere Tart.  Its a recipe I got from my friend Audrey many moons ago.  I fell in love with it and I can't tell you how many times I have baked this through the years.


It's quick and easy to make and so impressive when done.  One thing which I really love about it is the free form crust . . .  you just roll out a 12 inch circle and pile the filling onto that, folding the edges up around the outsides to encase the filling. So simple.


Another thing I love is the richness of the Gruyere cheese, which goes very well with that earthy flavour of the spinach . . . then there is the base of basil pesto which gets secreted beneath the filling before you pop that onto the crust.  It's just enough to give you some flavour without overpowering the dish . . . 


I also love that nutty crunch of the toasted pinenuts you sprinkle over the top of the tart before baking.  Oh, I do love pinenuts . . .  they are so moreish.


Actually, I think altogether you could say that I just really, really love this tart full stop!!!


*Spinach and Gruyere Tart*
Serves 4


A delicious supper dish that can get even the most ardent of spinach haters to eat spinach!  It's a free form tart and very pretty.


1 TBS olive oil
1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 pound of baby spinach leaves, washed
300g shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen (enough pastry to make a 12 inch round)
2 TBS fresh pesto sauce
120g gruyere cheese, grated (1 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 TBS toasted pinenuts



 Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  


Heat the oil in a small pan and add the onion.  Cook, stirring for about 4 minutes, until softened.  Add the spinach and cook just to wilt.  Drain all in a colander and press out as much water as you can.  Set aside.


Roll your pastry out to a 12 inch circle.  Place onto a flat baking sheet. Spread the centre,  leaving about 2 inches all the way around free, with pesto sauce.  Reserve 1 TBS of the cheese and place the remainder into a bowl.  Add the drained spinach, onion, beaten egg, salt and pepper.  Mix together well.  Place this mixture  in the centre of the pastry circle on top of the pesto.  Fold up the edges of the pastry over the spinach, pleating it decoratively.   You will only want to fold it up about 2 inches all the way around, leaving the centre open. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pine nuts.


Bake in the heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.  Cut into 4 wedges to serve.



 I really hope that you will want to give this a go.  I once made this for my boss when I worked at the Manor, and she said to me . . .  "Marie, I do believe you have found a way to get me to eat spinach!" High praise indeed, as she was a very picky woman! 

All you need to serve with this is a salad on the side. Bon Appetit!

10 comments

  1. This looks and sounds lovely - would I be able to freeze it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never frozen it Ali, so I can't say with any assurity if you could or not. Why not try freezing a small piece and see how that goes? xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If you like Pine-nuts you will love this tart Monique! xo

      Delete
  3. I'm sincerely excited to make this. I'll let you know how it turns out!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think Jane! I hope that you enjoy it! xo

      Delete
  4. so beautifully, perfectly simple, thank you so much x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I hope that you make and enjoy! xo

      Delete
  5. Could I make this without the egg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you could, but the filling won't be quite as rich without the egg or hold together quite as well. Enjoy!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!