Tina's Burgers

Tuesday 16 May 2017





We had a lovely lunch at our friends Tina and Tony's the other week.  That Tina is an excellent cook. 



 I have never not thoroughly enjoyed what she has prepared, even her gammon, egg and chips. (Heaven!)  No small wonder as she has run some restaurants in her time and is very good at what she does!  







While we were there, we got to talking about food (as we always do) and the subject of her burgers came up.  


Her grandchildren really love her burgers.  I was intrigued and just had to ask how she made them!







Basically, they are just a quality store made beef burger, put together with fried onions, mushrooms, bacon, cheese with a fried egg, some tomatoes, lettuce, etc. all on an open face toasted bun.







On the burger side you slather the bottom toasted bun (And I used Brioche buns) with your favourite burger toppings.

Be they tomato ketchup, mustard, relish, etc, and then top with fried onions and mushrooms.

Then your grilled/fried burger which has had a nice slice of cheddar melted on top and then finish it off with a couple of slices of crisp streaky bacon.






On the other side you slather the toasted bun with some mayonnaise (I used garlic mayonnaise) some lettuce leaves, slices tomatoes and a nicely fried egg!






These are knife and fork burgers, meant to be eaten open-faced and a meal in and of themselves.  I did make my own beef burgers, using a good minced steak, with just a small amount of fat.  


You need some of the burgers would be far too dry.  I seasoned them with salt, pepper and both onion and garlic powders.







They were absolutely perfect.  You don't want them too thick, so really flatten your patties out with a gentle hand. (I do this between the palms of my hands and then chill.)  


Your burgers will shrink in somewhat, so if you haven't started with too thick a burger then they will end up the right size.  I even flatten out store made burgers, for this very reason.  


I also like to make a bit of a dip in the centre of each patty which helps.






We like our streaky bacon dry cured and smoked, and done until just a little bit crisp.  


I used sliced strong cheddar cheese.







I only ever use free range eggs, RSPCA assured.  I think that it is worth the extra money to support an industry that is about animal welfare.  Did you know that as much as 50% of egg laying hens in the UK are still kept in cages.  


Free range does not necessarily mean free range.  You can be pretty sure however that if the eggs you buy are RSPCA assureded the hens are either kept in barns with plenty of space, perches and nest boxes or in free range systems where hens also have access to an outside range. 


 This is important to me.  I can't do alot, but I can do this.  In any case, I now know why Tina's grands really love her burgers!  They're fabulously tasty!




 
*Tina's Burgers*
Makes 4 
 
These are fabulously delicious open burgers, knife and fork burgers, created via inspiration from my good friend Tina! If you can eat a whole one of these, you are amazing! 

1 pound ground steak
1/2 tsp each salt, black pepper, onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 thick slices cheddar cheese
8 slices streaky bacon
butter
4 large free range eggs
1 large onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced into half moons
a large handful of closed cup mushrooms sliced
2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into slices
lettuce leaves
4 brioche buns, split, buttered and toasted
mayonnaise

To serve:
your favourite burger toppings 

First make your burgers  Place the ground steak, salt, pepper and onion and garlic powders into a bowl. Mix together well with your hands and divide into quarters.  Shape each quarter into a round  ball and then flatten it out  to make patties not much thicker than 1/3 inch. (As the beef cooks the burgers will shrink back into themselves)  Make a slight dip in the centre of each to minimize shrinkage, place onto a plate and chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to proceed. 

Melt a bit of butter in a skillet, add the onions and mushrooms.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown and softened.  Scoop out to a small bowl and keep warm. 

Wipe the pan out.  Add the streaky bacon and cook until your desired crispness.  Remove, keep warm.  Add the burgers and cook over high heat, until golden brown on both sides, and cooked through to your preference.  Try not to press them down too much.  Too much pressing helps all their natural juices to escape. Place a slice of cheese on top of each. Cover and keep warm while you cook your eggs.. 

Take a clean skillet and add a knob of butter.  Heat until the butter begins to foam.  Carefully break in the eggs.  Cook over medium heat until the bottoms turn golden brown and the whites are set.  (I like to pop a lid over top for several minutes to aid in this.) 

To assemble.  Place your toasted bun halves on each of four warm plates. Place your desired burger toppings on the bottom halves.  Top with the fried onions and mushrooms and a burger patty.  Place two slices of streaky bacon over each.  On the other halves, place a dollop of mayonnaise and spread it out. (I like garlic mayo) Top with the lettuce and tomatoes and finally a perfectly fried egg. 

Serve immediately. 






Note:  I baked some vegetable fries to serve with mine and they looked really good.  If you have a really hearty appetite these would be a great addition.  


My husband and I could not eat it all. In fact I could only eat 1/2 my burger.  It was really, REALLY good however!

Tina's Burgers





I think these would be great for Father's Day!  These would also be really great for breakfast made with sausage patties!  Bon Appetit!  

3 comments

  1. What a plate! I am looking after 3 of our grandsons..LOL I made them scrambled eggs this morning..they looked at them..LOL no appetite in the AM..I am back to making lunches..and watching for buses..Marie..I am having a ball:) Brings back so many memories..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't finish mine, I think I only ate half, and I am not sure why, the only thing extra over and above a real bacon cheese burger is the egg, but they were fab. we are not eggs for breakfast people Monique, we tend to always have them for supper. Oh how lucky you are to have the three lads with you! I envy you that, I really do. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! xo

      Delete
  2. Here is a surprise for you Marie, to see me looking into the kitchen ! But your burgers intrigued me....they look fab. But no good fame making them, Mary dosnt like mushrooms, Peter won't go near cheese, nor sauces,..he is a bit like your Todd everything plain is best for him....nice plain mince and potatoes, casserole stew, etc...but I might just treat myself one day and make myself a burger and make there's plain !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!