Cornbread with Fennel Seed, Cranberries & Sultanas

Sunday 4 June 2017


The recipe I am showing you here today is one of my favourite of all the quick breads that I make.  It is no secret that I am a huge fan of cornbread.  I also happen to love quick breads with dried fruit in them, especially raisins and cranberries  . . . and add fennel seed to anything and I am so on it!  I just adore that slight anise like flavour of fennel seed!  This lovely bread incorporates those three loves of mine in a most delicious way!


The recipe comes from a cookery book that I have had for a long time. Entitled "The Best American Recipes, 2002-2003," it was the years top picks from books, magazines, newspapers and the internet.  Its a wonderful source of all things delicious! 

 
The original recipe appeared in Gourmet magazine, cook Gina Marie Miraglia, so I am guessing just from her name alone that it has Italian roots.  The Italians like to use fennel seed and I, myself, always add some to my tomato sauces.  I have even been known to just sit and chew on fennel seed. Like I said, I love it's flavour.


The batter is a pretty basic buttermilk cornbread batter, using fine cornmeal (like polenta) and just a hint of sweetness. The buttermilk makes is nice and moist . . . the combination of dried sultana raisins and dried cranberries, add another dimension of texture and some sweetness. 

 
This is a bread that is wonderful for picnics and is not entirely out of place on a cheese board.  Cheese goes beautifully with this.  Especially a nice creamy blue . . . or a good cheddar.  Try slices put together with cream cheese, as sandwiches.  Yum!  Cut into fingers they would be a wonderful addition to a Tea Party table! 


 The recipe makes two loaves, which is not really a problem, as I can't think of anyone who wouldn't love to receive the gift of one of these in a basket along with some conserve and a block of cream cheese, or even just a jar of honey butter.   It also freezes well.  Another quality I like about this is the fact that you can bake it up to three days ahead of when you want to use it! 


You can also bake it as individual small loaves, which make for a beautiful presentation for luncheons, etc.  However you choose to bake it or enjoy it, I think you will agree with me when I say that this is truly a winning quick bread recipe! 


 
*Corn Bread with Fennel Seed, Cranberries & Sultanas*
Makes 2 loaves 
(8 X 4 X 3 inch)

This lovely loaf can be made up to three days ahead. You can either bake it in two loaf tins, or in small loaf tins, in which case it will make 10 very small loaves. This is delicious and works well with salads, cheese plates or just on it's own, sliced and buttered.  Adapted from a recipe found in a book entitled The Best American Recipes from 2002/2003, and attributed to Gourmet Magazine. 

1 1/3 cups plain flour (185g)
115g yellow cornmeal/polenta (2/3 cup, not coarse)
65g granulated sugar (1/3 cup)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 tsp salt
330ml buttermilk (1 1/2 cups, well shaken)
180g butter, melted and cooled (3/4 cup)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
45g sultana raisins, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup golden raisins)
45g dried cranberries, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 TBS fennel seeds, coarsely crushed with a pestle and mortar, or pulsed briefly in a coffee grinder 

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter two 8 X 4 X 3 inch loaf tins (or 10 small loaf tins) well, and dust with flour, shaking out any excess.  Set aside. 

Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, sultanas, cranberries and fennel seeds.  Make a well in the centre.  Beat together the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs.  Add all at once to the dry mixture, and stir together just to combine.  Divide between the two loaf pans, smoothing the tops.  Let stand for 10 minutes.   


Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes (20 - 25 minutes or small loaf tins), or until the tops are golden brown and a skewe inserted in the centre of a loaf comes out clean.  Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before tipping out onto the wire rack to cool completely. 

Wrap tighly and store for up to three days prior to eating. Cut into slices to serve. 

Note - I don't see why this cannot also be baked in medium muffin tins for the same length of time as you would mini loaves.

Bon Appetit!


4 comments

  1. Thanks Marie:) In my inventory now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m subscribing to you. I love having British recipes with American measures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!