Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Gnocchi

Thursday 29 June 2017


I just adore Gnocci . . .  those delicious little Italian potato dumplings that combine my adoration of potatoes and pasta in the most perfectly delicious way!


 They are also very versatile.  I like them simply boiled with some butter, salt, pepper and cheese . . .  browned in butter like fried potatoes, with  a tomato sauce and cheese, with vegetables, with meat, with gravy . . .  you get the idea.  I love Gnocci any way I find them!


You can get them in a few different flavours also . . .  sweet potato, beetroot, etc. My favourites however are the basic old fashioned plain potato, coz I'm a simple girl like that.

This dish today is a simple vegetarian dish with a simple sauce that goes together very quickly, in a flash really.  You could call this a 15 minute supper!


Sliced mushrooms get browned in a non stick skillet with a bit of cooking spray, or if you are feeling really naughty you could use a bit of butter and oil.  (Just sayin!)

Once they are softened and beginning to turn golden, (It helps if you let them sit instead of agitating them, which makes them release their juices and you don't really want that) you add some garlic and cook until fragrant and then  . . .


The piece de resistance  . . . double/heavy cream . . .  ohhh  . . .  so rich.  So tasty . . .

You also add a nice amount of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a goodly amount of fresh baby spinch, letting that cream bubble up and thicken and wilt the spinach . . .

 After that you toss in the gnocchi (which you've also been cooking.  Takes literally seconds.), well drained of course and a nice smidge of salt and freshly ground black pepper. 


Presto chango!  Dinner is ready!  I like to scatter some more Parmesan on top.  I grate the garnish Parmesan a bit coarser so people can see it . . . sit back and wait for the ooohs and aahhs . . .  and they will come.  Trust me.



*Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Gnocchi*
Serves 4

You can use any variety of mushroom you want for this quick, simple and delicious dish. I like chestnut mushrooms myself! 

625g fresh potato gnocchi (about 1 1/2 pounds)
375g of fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (13 ounces, scant pound)
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
300ml double cream (1 1/4 cups)
90g baby spinach leaves (3 1/2 ounces)
25g finely grated parmesan cheese (1/3 cup)
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
salt and black pepper to taste

Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water.  Drain well.  While the gnocchi are cooking soften the mushrooms in a large skillet you have lightly spritzed with low fat cooking spray.  Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so longer.  Add the ream and spinach.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook until the spinach has wilted and the sauce thickend.  Stir in half of the cheese and season to taste with salt, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.  Stir the cooked and drained gnocchi into the mixture.  Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and serve immediately.


You could also add a TBS of grainy Dijon mustard to the sauce if you wanted to.  It adds a nice zip.  I didn't do that this time.  Break out the crusty bread because you are NOT going to want to miss any of that delicious sauce!  Bon Appetit!


4 comments

  1. Oh.My.Goodness!!! Heaven on a plate!!!! You are making it VERY difficult for me to stick to low carb (trying to drop some pounds)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry about that Maryann! Low carb has never worked for me at all. I am a carbaholic. xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That is a real compliment Monique! J'apprécie tellement!! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!