Orange Muffins

Saturday 10 June 2017

Orange Muffins

I got a request earlier this week for Orange Muffins and what could I do?  I just had to bake some.  

Not sure if they will please the person who asked for them.  All I can tell you for sure is that WE love these!

Orange Muffins

I do have anothe orange muffin recipe which we also like which uses a whole orange ground up, but this recipe here today is a bit simpler, but still very orangy.

Orange Muffins

With plenty of fresh orange juice and finely grated orange zest in the batter  . . .

Orange Muffins

 You can add dried fruit, or nuts, or even poppy seeds if you wish.  

I had some dried currants I wanted to use up and so today I used them.  Mmmm  . . . perfect.

Orange Muffins

They also have a lovely but optional orange icing glaze that you dip the tops of the muffins into while still warm.  

That has orange juice and zest in it also.

Orange Muffins

Buttery, moist and stogged full of orange from the outside in.  These are winners all round!

Orange Muffins


*Orange Muffins*
Makes 11 medium muffins
 
Fresh orange flavours, filled with optional fruit and glazed with an optional glaze.  These are winners!

280g plain flour (2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large free range egg, beaten
100g sugar (1/2 cup)
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
150ml fresh orange juice (5 fluid ounces)
60ml water (2 fluid ounces)
90ml vegetable oil (3 fluid ounces)
60g plain yogurt (1/4 cup)
85g raisins, sultanas, chopped dates or prunes, dried currants (1/2 cup) optional
Optional glaze:
60g icing sugar (scant half cup)
2 tsp orange juice
1/4 tsp finely grated orange zest

Orange Muffins

Preheat the oven to 190*C/3758f/ gas mark 5.  Butter a non-stick muffin tin really well, or line with muffin papers. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together in a bowl. If you are using any dried fruit, stir it in now.  Beat together the egg, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, water, oil and yogurt. Add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir lightly just to combine. No dry flour should be visible.  Spoon into the prepared muffin tins.

Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and the tops spring back when lightly touched.  

Whisk together all of the glaze ingredients. Tip the tops of the warm muffins into the glaze and place onto a rack to set the glaze.  Delicious warm or cold!

Note - You can also replace the fruit with 1 to 2 TBS of poppy seeds.


Orange Muffins

If you are looking for a lovely orange muffin, look no further.  These fit the bill all round!  They make a great weekend breakfast treat, or for your elevensies!  Bon Appetit! 

Orange Muffins 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 




10 comments

  1. Marie, when I saw what the recipe was, I had a big smile on my face!
    Just the thoughfulness of u taking the time to make these orange muffins, pleases me!
    Now I need to buy some oranges to make these yummy muffins. Lol.
    Thanks for thinking of me!
    U and ur Todd have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome jan! It was our pleasure! YUM! You have a great weekend also! xo

      Delete
  2. You ARE thoughtul...Pinning..I will love these..look at the nice rise too!!Still practicing my crochet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sure to love these Monique! Keep practicing. It will come! xoxo

      Delete
  3. oh Marie I just bought some oranges and was thinking of orange cake...I like your muffins though! If I don't have yogurt on hand, what would I do? I have buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think why it wouldn't work if the buttermilk is nice and thick Mary! Enjoy! xo

      Delete
    2. I finally got some yogurt anyways....I wanted to make them today but I keep working in the garden, that time of year! Hopefully tomorrow!

      Delete
    3. You're in for a real treat Mary! xo

      Delete
  4. I look forward to all your posts Marie, your recipes are always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joan! Your comment made my day! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!