Spicy Chicken Burgers

Tuesday 27 June 2017

There is  magazine I have been buying recently called Food to Love.  Its filled with triple tested recipes from the Australian Women's Weekly.  I love the recipes in it.  They're interesting and to be honest, delicious.  In the June issue they had a recipe for Spicy Chicken Burgers that was ticking all my boxes!

 
 It uses mini chicken fillets (chicken tenders) which have been marinated in some harissa paste. Well, actually  . . .  the original recipe doesn't really marinate them, but I wanted the flavour to stick, so I let them stand for half an hour after I mixed them with the paste so that the flavours really got into the meat.


You could also use boneless chicken breast cut into strips . . .  or even boneless chicken thighs. Both would work very well.

 There is a tiny sinew that runs along the underside of mini chicken fillets that I like to remove with a sharp knife. It only takes a few minutes to get rid of it and it helps to keep them nice and tender.  Just sip the tip of a sharp knife under it and then work the knife down the length to loosen it and cut it out.  I use both of my hands for this.  I grab the tendon and hold it with some kitchen toweling so I can get a good grip and run the knife with the other hand.  Its quite simple really.

Then again, it might not be something that bothers you.  So easy peasy, just leave it on.  The marinated chicken is quickly fried in a lightly greased skillet until golden brown on both sides.  Make sure you don't over cook them.  They only need about 2 1/2to 3 minutes per side, if that. They will continue to cook for a bit when you take them out of the pan.

Other than that you only need some toasted brioche buns . . .  some beetroot hummus. (I LOVE HUMMUS!) some fresh baby spinach leaves and some ribboned cucumber.

 You spread the hummus on the toasted bottom bun . . .  if you don't like beetroot, you can use pain hummus, or I am thinking the lemon/pepper or red pepper hummus would also be VERY tasty!


The hummus gets topped with some fresh baby spinach leaves and then you pile on the cooked chicken filets and the thinly ribboned cucumber.   I use my potato peeled to cut the cucumber into thin strips. Altogether this was quite, quite delicious and so quick and simple to make! 

 
*Spicy Chicken Burgers*
Serves 4
 
You can make these as hot or as mild as you like.  I, myself, don't like them too spicy, but you can suit yourself!  The beetroot hummous, baby spinach and cucumber add a light and healthy touch! Delicious. 

12 mini chicken fillets, trimmed (chicken tenderloins)
(I use a sharp knife and remove the tough tendon. It takes a few minutes
but results in a much more tender piece of chicken)
2 tsp harissa paste, or to taste
(Remember harissa is quite spicy)
1 tsp olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
4 burger buns, split (I like brioche buns)
1 large handful of baby spinach leaves
1 ridged cucumber, cut into ribbons using a potato peeler
110g of beetroot hummous (can use regular hummous if you prefer) 

Trim the chicken and combine in a bowl along with the harissa paste.  (I let mine sit for half an hour prior to cooking so that the flavor penetrated the chicken meat.) Heat the olive oil in the pan until hot.  Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
 

Toast the cut sides of the burger buns. Spread the bottoms with the hummous, top with a portion of the spinach and cucumber ribbons and a fourth of the chicken.  Top with the tops of the buns and serve immediately.

A dollop of garlic mayonnaise also goes well on top of the chicken and cucumber, or even sweet chili mayo if you are feeling really adventurous!!!


Now that's what I call one heck of a delicious burger!  Todd ate his with a knife and fork.  Me . . .  I'm common, I just piled on the top bun, picked it up and dug in.  Yum! YUM!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. This looks mouth watering . . .wish I were there, LOL. Now do you have a recipe for the beet root hummus . . . that looks interesting, too :)
    Happy cooking!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, it is a really, REALLY tasty burger! You can easily make your own beetroot hummus, although I did use ready made today. Here's how to do it:

      4 medium sized beetroot, cooked, peeled and cubed
      1 (400g/14oz) tin of chick peas, drained (reserve some liquid, just in case)
      2 TBS Tahini (sesame seed paste)
      the juice and zest of one lemon
      1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
      1 TBS ground cumin, toasted in a dry pan
      salt and black pepper to taste

      Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth, adding just enough of the reserved chick pea liquid as to give you the right consistency. Toasting the cumin first helps to really bring out its flavour.

      Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.

      Hope this helps! xo


      Delete
  2. And your pork burgers are YUM too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!