Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

German Casserole


I can't believe it has taken me so long to post this delicious recipe.  I cooked it way back in the Spring, but then the weather started getting hot and I didn't think it was the time of year that people would enjoy cooking and eating this kind of food, but with autumn in the offing I think its about time I brought it forward!  This be pretty good eating and I don't want anyone to miss out on it!


It's a great casserole to make when you have leftover ham and potatoes.  I usually cook extra potatoes if I am boiling them, just so I can make dishes like this.  And when I have baked a ham, I always chop up the extras and bang them in the freezer, just to have on hand when we are wanting something a bit heartier, but that won't break the bank!


I have also been known to buy a slab of ham just to make this, but you could probably use sliced ham or tinned ham if you really wanted to,  with no problem at all.



Cooked potatoes are layered with a mixture of sauteed onions, sauerkraut and ham . . .  in a shallow casserole dish . . .


I love sauekraut myself.  Its always been a favourite of mine . . .  and I suppose that is why this is called German Casserole . . .  because of the sauekraut.  My sister makes her own kraut.  I have not been brave enough yet   . . .


 I suppose I am too afraid of poisoning myself.  I have had food poisoning several times in my life and I am not likely to want to repeat that performance again!  I still can't really face chicken parmesan since the last time I had it.  It wasn't the chicken that did it to me, but chicken parm was the last thing I ate before it hit. 'Nuf said! 


Of course if you are not a big fan of sauerkraut you could use thinly sliced cabbage that you saute along with the onions and ham.  Its really, REALLY good done that way also!  Of course cheese on top, makes most casseroles automatically taste better!  I do so love a good casserole!
 

*German Casserole*
Serves 4 - 6
 
A great casserole that uses up leftovers in a very delicious way!  Simple and easy to make and a quick bake.  You will need leftover cooked ham and potatoes. 

2 cups cubed cooked smoked ham
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 TBS butter
1 tsp sweet paprika
2 pounds cooked potatoes, peeled and sliced
795g jar or sauerkraut, drained, rinsed and drained again (28 ounce can)
salt and black pepper to taste
2 large free range eggs
4 TBS milk
240g grated strong cheddar cheese (I use a mix of orange and white for colour) (2 cups)



Preheat your oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Melt the butter in a large skillet until it begins to foam.  Add the onion and ham.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, without browning.  Add the drained and rinsed sauerkraut and paprika and mix well together.


Place half of your sliced potatoes in a buttered 9 inch casserole dish.  Season with salt and pepper.  Spread the ham and sauerkraut mixture over top.  Cover with the remaining potatoes.  Season again.  Beat together the eggs and  milk.  Pour this over the potatoes.  Sprinkle with the grated cheese.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until heated through and the cheese is bubbly.  Serve hot.


Now doesn't that look tasty!  Some crusty bread spread with cold butter goes really well with this, and if you can find rye bread, so much the better! 
 

You could also use sliced smoked sausage or  hotdogs in this if you wanted to.  Its all good.  I hope you will try it.  It would make a great dish for October Fest!  Guten Appetit!
QuickEdit
Marie Rayner
10 Comments
Share :

10 comments:

  1. Always so creative in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed this one out right away! I make a dish similar to this, but adding the sauerkraut takes it to a different level (taste). We love kraut...and I make my own, too. I understand your caution in making it, though but it is one of the easiest things to do. I was surprised that it takes about one head of cabbage to make a quart, and it's something that you can make one quart at a time or many quarts.

    Thanks for all the delicious recipes you continually send to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you printed this out right away happy! Now, THAT, makes me happy! I think you will love this. I am going tomake my own Kraut one day. I just have to screw up my courage! xo

      Delete
  3. This sound delicious. Funny how we always remember what we ate when we got sick. My last McDonald's Big Mac was eaten on September 3, 1974. The reason I remember is because I went into labor later that evening and gave birth to our first son the next day. I never ate a Big Mac again yet I went on and had two more chicldren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I have only ever enjoyed Big Macs when I am pregnant. As that has not happened in quite a number of years now, I have not had a Big Mac for a very long time, but for very different reasons! This casserole is indeed very good! I love Casseroles! xo

      Delete
  4. I just made a ham and scallop potato casserole last week. I put a ham in my crockpot. No heating up my kitchen and they come out so good!
    Next time I'll try it with some paprika, but not a fan of kraut.

    I'm going to bake a cake today for my B-Day. I haven't decided yet what kind, but it will definitely be a bundt cake. My brother is the only one that remembers. Last year I had to go to a fav uncle's funeral, so this year will be a better one, but I never embrace getting a year older. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Jan! I love ham and scalloped potatoes, but have never done it in the crockpot. I must try one day! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this recipe. My maternal grandparents were from Germany and I loved the meals they made for us. I can't wait to try this---outstanding!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jane! My maternal ancestry is German also! My grandfather used to make his own Kraut and the old cousins still do, as does my sister. I love German food full stop! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy! Please don't attempt to leave spam. It will be deleted immediately.

Follow @georgialoustudios