Asian Slaw

Monday 19 March 2018


This recipe I am sharing today is one that was a popular one with the ladies when I worked at the Manor.  That is not much of a surprise  as it is filled with an abundance of fresh flavours and a variety of crunchy textures!  Its also very colourful, at least on the first day at any rate.  It does tend to become singularly coloured with the red cabbage if left overnight, although the flavours are still really nice.


There are two kind of cabbage . . . crisp white cabbage, (also known as green in some places) and bright purple/red cabbage. Grated orange carrots . . .  sharp thinly sliced spring onions, along with coriander leaf and chopped dry roasted peanuts complete the salad mix.


The dressing is a lovely mix of Asian flavours . . . rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, toasted sesame, gingerroot and garlic, whisked together with Dijon mustard (for sharpness) and a mild flavoured oil.


The dry roasted peanuts add another different texture and a hint of saltiness that goes very well with everything else.


The coriander (cilantro) leaf also adds colour and a hint of asian flavour that is very much at home in the mix.


The original recipe came from a Junior League cookbook called "The Life of the Party."  My boss always loved the Junior League Cookbooks.  I confess, I always liked reading hers and did photocopy a few recipes from out of them.


I also love Community Cookbooks, filled with everyone's favourite recipes.  You can find a few gems in those as well.   The more I look through cookbooks, and recipes collected through the ages, the more I realise that there is really nothing new under the sun, only new ways of doing things . . .  and fresher ingredients. We are so very blessed in these modern times to have ingredients available to us that our mothers could only dream of. 


*Asian Slaw*
Makes 6-8 servings

Fresh Oriental flavours with lots of colour and texture. This is really good.
For the Salad:
600g thinly shredded green cabbage (4 cups)
600g thinly shredded red cabbage (4 cups)
1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
4 spring onions, peeled and thinly sliced
40g chopped dry roasted peanuts (1/4 cup)
3 TBS chopped fresh coriander leaf (Cilantro)


For the dressing:
3 TBS rice wine vinegar
1 TBS Dijon mustard
180ml canola or peanut oil (3/4 cup)
2 TBS soy sauce (I like the dark)
1 TBS honey
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To garnish:
additional chopped peanuts and coriander leaf




 Whisk together the vinegar and mustard for the dressing.. Slowly whisk in the canola/peanut oil. Whisk in the soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil.  Stir in the gingerroot and garlic.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Place both cabbages, carrot and spring onions into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top and toss to coat. Add the peanuts and coriander leaf and toss again.  Once again taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Cover and chill until you are ready to serve.  Scatter additional chopped peanuts and coriander leaf on top just prior to serving.



Left overnight, this becomes a delicious pickle that is great on sandwiches or with cold meats.  In any case, I am well happy to be coming into Spring when our food will start becoming lighter and fresher, for a time anyways!  Bon Appetit!  





4 comments

  1. ANYTHING w/ an Asian flair:) except oyster and fish sauce..I LOVE. Oh and raw fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that Monique, I am much the same. I will use a bit of fish sauce, but I can't stand the smell! I am not fond of sushi either. Not with a 10 foot pole. On my ex BIL's 50th Birthday my SIL put on a huge party (Toronto) with a sushi bar and a Japanese meal. Lots of celebrities there as he was in the entertainment industry. I was starving, lol. This is a really nice salad. I am going to have it on a sandwich today! yum! xo

      Delete
  2. I made this one today - it was beautiful - really crisp, fresh with those wonderful Asian flavours to really give it a lift.

    I made the full recipe, so I've some left and I must say that I'm rather looking forward to trying it out on sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. Ha, ha ... we've only just eaten dinner and I'm already thinking about tomorrow's lunch. Just call me Yogi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Yogi, I must be Yogi too! Lol I am always thinking a meal ahead! So pleased you enjoyed this! I need to make it again soon, but will probably have to wait until I am in my own,place. I am really missing cooking! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!