Jammy Buns

Saturday 21 April 2018


I wanted to bake Todd a treat today and I had spied this recipe in a baking book of mine which I have had for a very long time, entitled, "Cakes" by Gina Speer.  Its a really good book.  Nothing I have ever baked from it has been a dud.  Its a rare book that you can say that about! 



Its filled with lots of recipes for everything from biscuits (cookies) to scones, to muffins, cakes,  and a whole lot more.  I  am a naughty puppy in that I turn the corners over on pages in my cookbooks if I find a recipe that I want to try out at some point  . . .  and this book has a corner turned on almost every page.


I was thinking they would be like a cookie . . .  despite the fact that the recipe was in section entitled "Buns and Bite Sized Cakes."  The picture was what drew me . . .  they looked like nice puffy jam cookies.


The dough was quite a stiff dough, but I used my hands and it came together beautifully.  I shaped it into a log and then divided it into twelve equal bits, which I then rolled into balls as per recipe instructions.  After that you make an indentation in them and drop in a bit of jam. She recommended seedless raspberry, but all I had was seeded raspberry.  Not a problem.  They were not the most beautiful cakes in the world however  . . .



But as women, we all know that a little bit of lippy (or a dusting of icing sugar in this case) always lights up even the dullest composure!


These are very good, and more than a bit wholesome, with the use of both plain and wholemeal (wholewheat) flours.  The wholemeal flour gives them an almost nutty flavour . . .



There are also dried cranberries in the mix  . . .  I chopped them to make them a bit smaller and more evenly distributed throughout.  Worked beautifully.


They have a buttery, almost pastry like texture . . .  like a cross between a biscuit and a scone . . .


That touch of jam is perfect on these . . .  I could not resist eating one while they were still warm . . .  with some cold milk, but I think they would go equally as well with a hot cuppa of whatever you like to drink.  These were not a cookie, but nobody was disappointed.


*Jammy Buns*
Makes 12 
 
 
These are like a cross between a pastry and a scone.  Very delicious!  Enjoy with an ice cold glass of milk or a hot cuppa for a real teatime treat! 
 

175g plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
175g wholemeal flour (1 1/4 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
150g butter, cut into bits (2/3 cup)
125g caster sugar (scant 2/3 cup)
50g dried cranberries (1/3 cup) chopped
1 large free range egg, beaten
1 TBS milk
4 to 5 TBS raspberry jam
icing sugar to dust (optional)



Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a large baking sheet and set aside.  (Alternately, line with baking paper.) 


Sift both flours into a bowl along with the baking powder.  Tip any grains remaining in the seive into the bowl.  Add a pinch of salt.  Cut the butter into pieces and drop into the flour mixture.  Rub in with your fingertips until you have a mixture resembling coarse bread crumbs.  Stir in the sugar and cranberries.  Stir in the beaten egg and milk to make a stiff dough. (Get in there with your hands. You might think its not going to happen, but it does.)  Divide into 12 equal bits and roll each bit into a ball. 


Place the balls, leaving plenty of space in between for expansion. Press your thumb down into the centre of each to make a hole.  Drop a llittle jam into each. (Don't be tempted to overfill as the jam will spill out if you do.)  


Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  Scoop off onto a wire rack to cool.   


If desired, dust with some icing sugar to serve. 



You know, when these first came out of the oven I thought . . . ugh . . .ugly buns, but with a dusting of icing sugar they perked right up and the flavour was actually really nice.  These have turned into another favourite in our home.  I hope you'll give them a try.  I guarantee you won't be sorry if you do! Bon Appetit! 


2 comments

  1. A dusting of icing sugar is like a touch of blush on us:)
    They look great..I never have seedless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave far too much jam in the house for someone who shouldn’t be eating it Monique! I just love jam. Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!